IT employee offered a weeks contract

pinkie123

Hi there, I am a permanent IT employee at the moment. I am looking into going contracting in the near future. I have the option of a weeks contract in another company at a very good daily rate. I have enough hols left to be able to take a weeks holidays to do this contract. Can I do it without my employer finding out??

Does your employment contract have a non-compete clause?

Ireland is a small place; it's quite likely they will find out through word of mouth. Then again perhaps it's better to ask forgiveness than seek permission!

you should be able to pull this off. It depends on how they are going to pay you and of course on the connections between this firm and your employer. If you are happy enough that they won't find out (bearing in mind the smallness of Dublin), then go for it. Presumably you would invoice the company you contract for, they'll pay you, and you will have to take care of the tax yourself, the tax and prsi will amount to 47% of the value, if you are a top rate tax payer - however this can be reduced substantially if you invest it in a pension before Oct 31 next.

I've worked in this area of IT for 6 years and its pretty smallish. But I have never heard of this company so I think this is a good sign that it won't get back to my company! They are a small company and its basically setting up a system for them. I am considering it as really could do with the money would pay off a few debts for me.

id say go for it...what you do on your holidays is of no difference to your employers...Ive take some holidays this year and contracted to another IT company...as you say it helps to pay off debts!

chances are you have a non compete clause in your contract as previously pointed out.

Also you say the work is to setup a system for them - do they expect future support from you? if so how will you handle this? will you be using any of your own companies resources - media etc?

chances are you have a non compete clause in your contract as previously pointed out.

Also you say the work is to setup a system for them - do they expect future support from you? if so how will you handle this? will you be using any of your own companies resources - media etc?

good point about future support - I will make sure they have a support contract in place! No, they will be providing all the media etc. so will be using nothing from my employer at all.

id say go for it...what you do on your holidays is of no difference to your employers...Ive take some holidays this year and contracted to another IT company...as you say it helps to pay off debts!

How did the contract company pay you Jazzy? I'm not sure how to go about it

im registered as a Sole Trader as well as been a PAYE worker so I just invoiced thme as normal

Back