IT Article: Putting up barriers to a free and open internet.

ajapale

[broken link removed]

I stumbled on this article dated 16th April 2010 which suggests that Ireland is about to embark on a Chineese style Internet Blocking exercize.

Conspiracy or Concern?

Last edited:
Didn't read the article,not interested enough, but if it stops people from surfing when they're supposed to be working, well, I'm all for it!

It has nothing to do with people surfing while they should be working.

I think its a very slippery slope to start going down, and personally would be against it. Its very vague as to what would be defined as amoral and as it says in the article its all very vague and unaccountable as to what could be blocked. Did Eircom not try to do something similar with PirateBay a while back, or have they succeeded in blocking that site if you have Eircom BB?

I quite liked downloading and watching Shutter Island in the comfort of my sitting room on Saturday evening

Pirate Bay was blocked by Eircom, which I have no issue with as it's basically stealing.

"Eircom recognises the legitimate rights of the owners of copyrighted material and believes that individuals who share or download copyrighted material without the authorisation or the permission of the owner of that content are acting illegally"

My concern would be with what get's blocked. If it's the goverment that decides you can be damn sure it's information that could be sensitive to their agenda. We all have an idea of details of content on sites that should get blocked. I'm not going to go into it here. But sites that promote criminal behavious, break laws or advise on criminal beahvious should be blocked.

With Pirate Bay, and the likes, either block them or leave them up and punish those who download unauthorised material. The arguement that someone has the CD so are entitled to download the Digital copy doesn't wash with me.

At the end of the day, someone will set up a proxy work around.

At the end of the day, someone will set up a proxy work around.

Exactly, they will not be able to stop illegal downloads. They would have to block every file hosing service out there - good luck with that!