Istilliana Spain

Concert

Thinking of taking a trip to the area around Istilliana in Sept with a view to looking at some properties there. Has anyone been to this part of Spain ? Heard its lovely and very unspoilt which is what we want but have never heard of anyone taking holidays there.

Thinking of taking a trip to the area around Istilliana in Sept with a view to looking at some properties there. Has anyone been to this part of Spain ? Heard its lovely and very unspoilt which is what we want but have never heard of anyone taking holidays there.

I have been to Islantilla in 2006 from knock airport.yes it is unspoilt very quiet. great beach for miles, lots of walking areas inland and along the beach, 2 shopings centres, restaurants bars,ect.
Stayed at Oasis Hotel (very good)
Nearby towns Isla Cristina and La Antilla lot of restaurans and bars.
City of Huleva is about 60 k away.Hope this might be some help.

Whilst some people like the laid back relaxing atmosphere many others find it too quiet and boring-especially outside July-August when it can be very very quiet.
Absolutely dead in Winter-most hotels,restaurants shut for six months, though,yes, as mentioned there are a couple of small towns within a few miles

It depends on your personality. Restless souls will need a car.
Can be very windy, as indeed can be much of that coast.

If you want to learn Spanish then its great because very few locals speak English.

I'm assuming you want a quiet bolt-hole -hopefully not a source of rental income as there is no chance of that.

Thanks a lot, just a thought at the moment, Costa Blanca and Sol too developed and even though Costa de la Luz sounds lovely it may be too quiet as would be spending quite a lot of time on retirement there and want to make friends. Thinking of the Algarve now or Lanzarote ?

Buy in a place to where there are frequent, short and inexpensive flights.
Bluntly that means Algarve, one of the Costas or Balearics -maybe Nice.

Canaries great for Winter weather but not that many cheap flights from Irelandall through the year. Mind you the scenery in northern halves of either Tenerife or Gran Canaria is stunning -hilly and very green-with a large busy civilised cities in each island. property better priced than in ALgarve,unless you go some miles back from ALgarve coast.
There is no connection with busy touristy southern halves of each island..so do explore Northern Gran Canaria and/or Tenerife some time.
Lanzarote -uumm, good for holidays but a bit starkly barren for me, with no real city -which occassionally one needs to visit.
I'm in my sixties and looking too, but wife won't leave Ireland !

Just a little younger, 50 and both of us would love a little place to retreat to. Have visited all the Canaries, must say I love Lanzarote but too small to spend a lot of time there. South of France also an option for us but not so warm in winter either so might reconsider Southern Spain again but somewhere away from coast, maybe around Seville, easy access to Algarve also. Would love to be totally immersed in the Spanish way of life.

Would it not be better to choose a long term rental without the problems/work of ownership? Head off to someone else's apartment for a few months every year.

Suggest you stay in an area for about a month to see whether it is to your liking and avail of meeting as many retired people as possible bearing in mind that many will give positive feedback although the truth may be different.

Grizzly - have you been talking to my wife about long term rentals? it's exactly what she says - no hassle with land taxes(very high in some countries), repairs, robberies in our absence; Plus, rentals are geting cheaper every year. And no worries about selling if you dont like a place.
She's starting to convince me despite this insane desire to actually own property!

agree with Oldnick, very quiet place ( we knew before going over) and speaking Spanish a big help. There were an abundance of places to rent...maybe this answers your question.

Nice enough place though, in September was about 26-28 degrees C. Good hotels, Osais, Iberostar Puerta Antilla. Defo need a car, after a few days here you could be yearning for another resort. Windy indeed !!

Suggest you stay in an area for about a month to see whether it is to your liking and avail of meeting as many retired people as possible bearing in mind that many will give positive feedback although the truth may be different.

I agree. Did a DIY holiday to Alicante city and got the tram up the coast to check out some of the coastal areas. We met an English couple who initially seemed enthuastic about their purchase of an apartment. Within ten minutes of talking to them the real story began to emerge. By the time our train journey had finished it was obvious that they would love to return to the U.K.
I have rented lots of apartments in different places that I treated as a home from home and while not having full ownership I settled in very nicely without having to worry about ownership problems. You also have the choice of going to a different location every year.
There are pros and cons but you can get a one bed apartment for €250 per week in France and Spain or Portugal. Yes it would be nice to have lots of rooms and a bit of a garden to potter around in but I can do that at home here in my own garden in the summer months.

Back