Ist day of Autumn

teabag....u seriously have made me laugh out loud today!!!! having a bad day and i really did giggle hahaha!!!

Glad i could help Blossy...

Just back from catching a few mackeral on Galway prom on the high tide. Yum Yum. Mind you, not an activity I would do naked...too many barbed hooks...and people.

How tall are the thistles?
Teabag, I would really like to know if you're male or female? - This, I believe, would make a huge difference to the whole standing in a field of thistles thing.

...and by the way, according to most of Europe, (and meteorologists generally AFAIK) August is part of Summer - this peculiarly Irish thing of May, June & July being Summer is unconventional and a bit silly IMO.

So there.

It comes about because traditionally the equinoxes and the solstices were considered the mid-point of the seasons. It's not unique to Ireland AFAIK a lot of Eastern Asia observe similar dates for their seasons.

It comes about because traditionally the equinoxes and the solstices were considered the mid-point of the seasons.

Exactly, but the rest of Europe has kind of moved on a bit during the last few thousand years.

It's not unique to Ireland AFAIK a lot of Eastern Asia observe similar dates for their seasons.

No, not unique to Ireland, but if we have to look somewhere as culturally different as eastern Asia for other examples of this unconventional and meteorologically opposed system, it's more than a little strange IMO.

How tall are the thistles?
Teabag, I would really like to know if you're male or female? - This, I believe, would make a huge difference to the whole standing in a field of thistles thing.

Leghorn, I am male. The thistles would be anything from knee height to waist height in the middle of summer. Why do you ask ? I am sure it would work equally as well for a female as it just involves standing still.

PM me if you want a pic of me in me birthday suit in said field of thistles... ;-)

PM me if you want a pic of me in me birthday suit in said field of thistles... ;-)
Hmmm, thanks for the offer, but I think I'll decline.

Back to the original topic - the weather.
Yet more rain today.
The light (or at least the dull, grey hue we get in Ireland) is more an astrological phenomenon than a meteorological one. I find the dull light depressing.

The rain really is unbelievable. I don't mind the odd rainy day in Summer, or even 4 or 5 days of continual rain. However, we've been subjected to constant rain for the last two years! We don't have Summer any more. The result of all this rain is;
- A relative's dog's paws now seem to be rotting because of the constant damp.
- Flooding across the country.
- Confined to the house. I dont mind getting a bit wet every now and again because of an unexpected shower. However, it seems we have nothing but rain, rain and more rain. I can't even go for a walk without being ****ed on.
- Increased electricity bills as people just give up and use electric driers.
- What effect will all this water will have on plants and wildlife?