ISDN Setup

Kramer

My parents recently had an ISDN line installed in their house as broadband is not currently available in the area.
Can anyone tell me whether a separate modem should have been supplied by Eircom?
They attached a box to the wall which now has the landline connected to it with 2 outputs from the box.
Is the setup as simple as attaching a normal phone line to one of the output lines (the new number which has been set up for ISDN) in order to get this working or do they require a modem / DSL Cable or any other parts to get it working?
I have looked up the Eircom website but it's not completely clear.
All advice appreciated

They require what is known as a T/A which is does for ISDN more or less what a modem does for analog lines.

They used to be reasonably common, but it might be a little harder and more expensive to find one now that a lot of ISDN users have switched to DSL.

There is no real alternative - they will have to buy (or source) a TA somewhere and either connect it to the PC, or stick it in the PC depending on what they get.

Try some of the online shops like komplett.ie to see what they have.

z

Agree with above, you need a T/A (modem for ISDN).
Some notes from experience using ISDN and these...

- Are you planning to use just one line at 64K or two lines at 64+64=128K. Some T/As only have 64, some have both. Check before buying.

- There are different types of T/A you can buy with respect to how the "attach" to your PC, e.g. internal PC card for a desktop machine, USB, serial lnk, PCMCIA card slot for laptops.
The internal desktop card and USB type might be best (fastest connection which helps from experience). Avoid serial unless your PC/Laptop is really old and you have no choice.

Just checked the Eircom pages and they only appear to sell one now at €97.

Checkout eBay, much cheaper there, see:

[broken link removed]

Thanks for the responses so far, if/when I get one of these do I just plug it in to the back of the laptop via one of the USB ports & the other end (using an ISDN Cable) in to the ISDN box which Eircom installed.
Thanks

Yep that's pretty much it.
You'll have some drivers to install as well.
Then need the dial up of your ISP to get on to the internet. If you go with Eircom, they offer a
-pay as you go number and a (about 5 cent per minute last time i checked)
- subscription account (annual fee and then lower per minute charges)

I tried to find these details on the eircom.ie site but couldn't, might be best to call them and check the pricing as I could be way off.

Once you do get set up you might find that your ISP only supports single channel (64kbits/second) rather than dual channel (128 kbits/second) - also known as channel bonding. If you find this is the case with your ISP, it's worth knowing that UTV internet's free dialup account supports 128kbit/second. Don't know if you can still register for this but it's worth a try - www.utv.ie .

ISDN not too common these days.

If its a PC they have Komplett do a PCI card modem - Billion ISDN PCI 128 kbps for €20. They also appear to do a USB version.

Worth a try. (Komplett.ie)

Loads of them on eBay too

Back