VHI Is VHI One plan 500 still the best at that price?

colin79ie

Hi,

Renewal time again. 2 Adults (late 30s) on one plan 500 and 2 kids (13/16) on one plan 150.

I'm trying to keep costs around the same this year, at approx 150/month.

Having spent days online, I'm none the wiser as to the range of possibilities and costs.

We're generally healthy and don't really need day to day cover but getting access to hospitals/procedures should we need it would be the main thing that we need.

Any advice appreciated.

Hi colin79ie,

The plans you are on at the moment are best priced for your specific hospital location needs.
Both adult and child plans chosen, have a capped excess for all private hospital inpatient admissions per year which is the best option if available.

Because of your location in the northwest of the country,(I looked back over previous posts), which requires private and public hospitals in
Galway and Northern Ireland, your search should be based around plans that cover the hospitals you need.

If a plan has a selected list of private hospitals covered, chances are that not all Galway hospitals would be on the list.
For example, if Bons Secours Galway is covered, well then Galway Clinic will not be covered.
A plan with no restricted list of hospitals will suit you much better.

One Plan 500 is the cheapest plan on the market with a full list of public and private hospitals covered.
The One Plan range will suit your hospital needs. Likewise the One Plan 150 is a good choice for the children.
Anything from Laya called Precision or Advantage will NOT suit your hospital needs, so you should avoid them.

Both Laya and VHI websites have a facility finder for all their plans which helps when choosing a plan.

https://www.vhi.ie/members/facility-finder?coverset=LIFFPST

https://www.layahealthcare.ie/find/
With Laya, you click on a plan and it shows a map with the hospitals covered showing a blue marker. Grey marker means not covered.

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you so much. It's soooo complicated and difficult to find the right cover, even though it appears straightforward from the companies, especially for anyone outside the main cities where there is much more choice of hospitals etc.

I'll stick with the current plans for now. The price has only increased approx 6 euro per month for 2019.

Thanks again Snowyb;)

Rather than creating a new thread for the same information, I am once again coming close to renewal and it looks even more confusing than last year.

Our current price has gone up approx 9 euro per month to just under €160.
Plan is the same. 2 adults on vhi one plan 500 and 2 kids on one plan 150.

I'm hoping this is still the best plans for our needs, based in the NW of the country.

Yes, the 2 VHI plans are still the best options for your particular location regarding hospital cover.
So, there's no adjustment required for another year.

Snowyb

On 1 Plan 500 currently.
Thinking ahead....would I be better switching to the slightly cheaper Laya Precision 600 Connect in case Hip/Knee problems arise?

Hi Rosjohn,

Yes, that would be a wise move on your part. Just to note that the Precision plans don't cover all private hospitals.
The Dubllin hospitals that you would lose cover for are Bons Secours Dublin, Beacon Sandyford and St Vincents Private Elm Park.
You would still have The Hermitage Lucan and Santry Sports Clinic.

For hip and knee replacement surgery, 12 private hospitals are covered, including Blackrock Clinic and Mater Private Dublin.
Cardiac surgery is also covered in these 2 hospitals which was not covered on One Plan 500.

All public hospitals are covered as before.

If you wanted a Laya plan with all private hospitals covered, the nearest is Flex 500 Explore @ price 933pa.
Connect 600 Connect @ 955pa covers all public, private and 3 hi-tech hospitals for everything, including a private room in a private hospital.
Just for comparison purposes, Precision 600 Connect will probably do the trick.

https://www.hia.ie/comparison-tool/...vY2siOmZhbHNlLCJwbGFuX2RldGFpbF9pZCI6LTF9fV0=

Regards, Snowyb

Anyone has advice on changing from vhi One Plan 500 to Irish life Benefit 1 or 2 for 2 adults 41,39 and 3 kids 13,11 and 7.

Back