is travel insurance mandatory

oaky9

i am about to book with sunway.ie and they are charging i think 60 euro a head for travel insurance and if u dont get travel insurance with them you have to prove to them that you have travel insurance. Do you have to have travel insurance or can you take the risk and get none.

with some of the online agents you cant book without giving an insurance number, personally wouldn't risk travelling without it, i have one that covers the 2 of us for around €80 worldwide yearly travel with winter sports so its a gift, think it was - i've seen a thread on aam regarding travel insurance so you might find a better deal. Some agents wont release tickets till you prove insurance not sure about sunway?

Travel insurance is rarely, if at all, mandatory. Generally I would not risk not taking it out either though. It is so cheap these days that it's hardly worth skipping.

VHI multi-trip for a family is €95 annually which covers you for not more than 160 days travel. I can only dream of having that many day's holidays!

A member of my family had a heart attack on holidays and recovered well, but I dread to think what might have happened had there not been insurance in place. There was insurance, and excellent medical care available because of that.

As an aside, the holiday had been booked through Sunway, and they were fantastic throughout the whole crisis.

You would be mad not to have travel insurance particularly if you were travelling to somwhere the USA. I know it is a bit fuzzy where you miss flights etc but where you really would need it is if something happens to you abroad e.g. an accident or sudden illness and you need to go to a hospital or even worse have to be repatriated home; you could be talking possibly in the region of hundreds of thousands of dollars, if you need lenghty hospital stay or surgery in somewhere like the USA

I was hospitalised in the US recently and my standard VHI insurance covered everything. I did not have additional travel insurance.
I do agree though that it is best to have the extra cover.