is this worth getting down from the North?

positivenote

Hi Guys, looking a t getting an old model of a 530d, but dont really want to spend more than 10 grand due to budget restrictions. Came across this one up north:
http://www.usedcarsni.com/20902388

do you reckon its a good deal, it'd work out about 5300euro at the current exchange rate excluding the vrt. Any ideas what it would end up costing me and basically is it a good deal. I know its high milege but im not to sure that this matters as much with it being a deisel. I cover about 130miles four days a week.
Thanks in advance

well after VRT thats gonna cost you at least
5300 + 5977 = 11,277

(you will have to pay VRT on all extras and there is no getting away with it for BMW's as they can check the VIN for all factory fitted extras)

and this one - all be it less spec would probably get for 10000 south

I did the VRT based on 221 emissions ( there is a 227 listed as well ) the statistical code is 41685264 and the customs will require around 4296 euro. There does seem to be some nice extras though which could cost more VRT

At first glance it looks worth investigating.. If it was a bank executive it must have been a private vehicle, I don't think they would keep a 7 year old company vehicle in the fleet... although recent revelations suggest anything is possible but it may be just sales patter.

If you end up paying close to 10K all in and it is a genuine car with full BMW history (from the North) and no crashes then it woud be only ok, not a super bargain or anything.

If you were able to get it for 4 sterling cash and a bit less on the VRT it would start to look better. E39 highly thought of in motoring press, never had one but did love my E34 (previous 5 series)

Last edited:
114000 miles is pittance for those engines. The injectors are the only thing to worry about...and maybe the turbo.

@joeysully, the comment about the extras is incorrect. I imported a(fully loaded) BMW a few years back and the guy never even came out to look at it. Considering these are 7 years old now, I don't think there's much to worry about. Besides, the SE model comes with practically every 'extra' as standard.

joeysully's selection is the older pre facelift model. the Northern one has the clear lenses which make it look much fresher IMO