Is this pc good spec and good value?

CrazyOne

Hi,

There is an offer for the following pc on one of the deal pages - it's an Aspire M3910 and it's on sale for €499 - it has the following spec:
  • Includes 18.5" Acer HD Widescreen Monitor, delivering 1366 x 768 resolution at 16:9 aspect ratio.
  • 3GB of RAM gives you the speed you need, while the 640GB SATA hard drive gives you the storage.
  • DVD rewriter drive lets you create your own DVDs!
  • Comes with a free wireless keyboard and mouse as well as lots of free software.
  • Connectivity options include four varied PCI slots, 8 USB ports, 3.5mm headphone, microphone and line-in jacks and a memory card reader, as well as VGA and HDMI ports.
  • Comes with on-board 7.1-channel sound card and integrated Intel HD graphics processor.
  • Get online wirelessly with an 802.11b/g/n wireless card or through a wired gigabit Ethernet port.
  • Runs Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 bit.
What do you think - good spec? good value?

not bad, 3Gb is on the low side, what's the processor? integrated graphics processors are pretty good these days, more of an internet machine / office, don't expect to go fragging with it.

Comes with a free wireless keyboard and mouse as well as lots of free software.

That piece made me smile. Does this mean you get a standard (cabled) keyboard and mouse, plus wireless versions of same ? If the wireless ones are the only ones supplied, they're not 'free'.

As for the free software ?

What do you think - good spec? good value?
I wouldn't think so, on either count. No mention of the CPU so probably just a Pentium. I don't like widescreen monitors and wireless keyboard & mouse are pointless on a desktop machine (and require batteries). 64 bit Windows may also cause problems for some older hardware (if you have any).

Go on to the Dell website and build a comparable system. Then see the price.
Also factor in the 3 yr Dell warranty against the current machine.
There is no real advantage in a 64 bit system with 3Gb of ram.
I avoid wireless mice and keyboards as the batteries always run out. So I would not consider them as added value.

For that price I would want an Intel I3 or maybe even I5 core processor.

Thanks for all your input guys - very informative - will be giving this one a miss and using your info while researching a future purchase

Dell have a 2 day sale on at the minute so hopefully you might get to avail of it.