Is this car dealer about to pull a fast one?

T

tommo2

Hi all.
Ive recently put a deposit of e250 on a car for sale for e10750. It was with a small car dealer, your usual buy and sell small-time dealer.
The car has no NCT and he has agreed to subject the sale to it passing. He has said it will have no probs passing and should be ready next week. I gace him the deposit on thursday.

However, i checked on the carzone website and he updated the info on it yesterday saying that it was confirmed to be in stock (and still available).
The agreed price we came to is an absolute bargain and is a great deal if it passes the nct - which it should as it is very well cared for and in great shape.

I have a sales docket from him signed by the two of us outlining the sale price, deposit paid and car reg and mileage. Bizarrely it doesnt contain the complete reg, only the year and county. I thought at the time it was because he didnt know the complete reg from memory and we were in the office. Sounded reasonable at the time anyway.
The docket also says car to be serviced and nct'd.

Now here is where i am worried:
The car is at a discount price, he probably got it from another dealer who didnt want to nct it. He probably took it on the basis that he can get it sold(a lot of large deales wont sell a car with mileage above a certain amount - this car is over 100k miles).
Does he think that now he has a buyer guaranteed that he can hold out for a higher price from someone else? I am afraid that if the car passes the nct then he will try to sell it at a higher price, which undoubtedly it is worth.

Is he allowed to do this under law?
As i said, i have a sales docket and deposit paid but does this give me any guarantee?
What is to stop him from telling me that the car failed so i will walk away, if he gets a better offer?

God my head hurts

Please help

What make of car is it.
Over 100k miles and over 10k price. Are you sure that you are getting great value ?

Rgds
Billo

Yes, I would question whether it's a "great bargain" as well.
In any case, I'm guessing these guys don't update their websites every day. Leaving it there for sale is probably some free advertising for him, like the way estate agents leave the sale agreed signs up for months sometimes. (On carzone, I believe you pay a once off fee, rather than per week).

its an audi a8
well worth the price.
Also, when i checked thursday evening it said added the prevoius week.
This morning (saturday)it said the car was confirmed to be in stock yesterday.

i just need to know that the sales docket is a legal contract that he cannot renege on

Tommo2
"which it should as it is very well cared for and in great shape."

How can you say that. Did You know the previous owner(s) for the past 100k miles ?

Rgds
Billo

because it is spotless, has had one owner, and has a full srevice history. Not all 5 year old car are in such good condition.
Sometimes you can just tell by looking for general wear and tear... this car is spotless.

The car is not sold yet. It's sale agreed.

You have a binding contract.

Until it's sold he's quite entitled to advertise it.

If you want the car proceeed to complete the deal.

These guys leave cars on the websites in order to get calls - then they can say that it's sold but they have a similar one in stock.

Also I have called several car sales companies lately to be told that cars advertised were still in stock and to come down and take a test drive. When I get there then the sales guys tell me it was just sold 'today' but have a look around.

I recon it's all part of market practice.