Is this a scam?

Mrs V

Hello,

TERMS AND CONDITIONS TO LOAN APPLICANTS

These are the required terms and conditions which must be meant before you can be granted a loan from GEORGE DICKSON INC

POLICIES

1. REPAYMENT:THE BORROWER MUST BEGIN REPAYMENT OF THE LOAN AT LEAST THREE (3) MONTHS IMMEDIATELY HE/SHE RECIEVES THE LOAN.

2. TRANSFER: THE LOAN AMOUNT WILL BE DELIEVERED TO YOU IN CASH OR TRANSFER DEPENDING ON YOUR OPTION.

3. INTEREST RATE:THE INTEREST RATE APPLICABLE TO ALL AMOUNTS IS 4%.

4. BORROWER MUST BE WILLING TO PAY BACK AT THE APPOINTED TIME.

5. THE LOAN AMOUNT MUST BE INSURED FOR SECURITY REASONS BEFORE IT CAN BE TRANSFERED.

Please fill in the appropriate information in the space below:
LOAN APPLICATION FORM

BORROWER'S PERSONAL DATA

First Name.: *

[FONT=Times
New
Roman][/FONT]

Middle Name.:

Last Name.: *

Gender.: Male Female

Month Of Birth.: Month January Febuary March April May June July August September October November December

Day: Day 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31

Year:

Marital Status.: Single Married Divorced

Nationality.: *

Religion.:

Occupation.:

Home Address.: *

Office Address.:

City And Country.: *

State/Province.: *

Zip Code.: *

Mobile phone No.: *

Amount Needed And Year of Duration.: *

Account Balance.:

Email Address.: * eg. [email protected]

Purpose of loan.............................
Duration Of Loan............
Next Of Kin............
Relationship With Next Of Kin..........
Scan Copy Of Your Id(International Passport Or Driver's License)............

This is to verify that the information filled in this FORM is a valid particulars of me. Yes: No:

Thanks,

Sir George Dickson

Re: Is this a scam???

I got this by email about an hour ago i never applied for anything

Why do people insist on opening mails from people they do not know or have never heard of?? Of course its a scam. I would do a scan on PC immediatley for spyware\virus. Do not mail anybody on your mail/friend list until you get all clear.

You're wondering if a random spam is a scam?
I would say very likely.

I've have a few thousand of these, and others, in my spam folder.

Where do they get our email adresses from?? This is the 1st 1 i have got not familar with this sort of stuff...

Why do people insist on opening mails from people they do not know or have never heard of?? Of course its a scam. I would do a scan on PC immediatley for spyware\virus. Do not mail anybody on your mail/friend list until you get all clear.

Because they dont know any better.

Sorry MrsV- got a bit emotional there.
Here is one of many reasons why you may get a spam mail:
THe fact that you have opened it may (more than likely) have opened a pandoras box for you now that they have struck gold.
Spambots can collect numerous e-mail addresses is to have a few guesses (well, more likely a few million guesses). What may happen is that an address will be guessed by taking well-known and well-used names together, then adding names of well-known e-mail providers at the end.
For example, let's say we have 4 popular men's names: Peter, James, John, and Paul. Now let's have 3 common surnames: Jones, Harris, and Smith.
It is easy to see that stringing these together with an underscore ("_"), a dot, or nothing will give quite a number of combinations. Examples include:

• peter_smith
  • peter.smith
  • petersmith
  • james_smith
  • john.jones
  • john_smith
Using only these names and methods of connecting them, we can create 4 times 3 times 3 (i.e. 36) different possibilities. Add to that the permutations allowed by adding numbers, random (but likely) dates of birth, and the e-mail provider (Hotmail, Yahoo!, etc), and you can see how millions of e-mail addresses can be generated in no time at all. Many of these will not exist, however a substantial number are likely to be addresses that are in use. That's probably why you still get spam even if you don't post your e-mail address anywhere on the Web or sign up for anything online.

have reported them as spam now so wont be opening them anymore tks 4 all replies smart 1's included!!

Sorry MrsV- got a bit emotional there.
Here is one of many reasons why you may get a spam mail:
THe fact that you have opened it may (more than likely) have opened a pandoras box for you now that they have struck gold.
Spambots can collect numerous e-mail addresses is to have a few guesses (well, more likely a few million guesses). What may happen is that an address will be guessed by taking well-known and well-used names together, then adding names of well-known e-mail providers at the end.
For example, let's say we have 4 popular men's names: Peter, James, John, and Paul. Now let's have 3 common surnames: Jones, Harris, and Smith.
It is easy to see that stringing these together with an underscore ("_"), a dot, or nothing will give quite a number of combinations. Examples include:
  • peter_smith
  • peter.smith
  • petersmith
  • james_smith
  • john.jones
  • john_smith
Using only these names and methods of connecting them, we can create 4 times 3 times 3 (i.e. 36) different possibilities. Add to that the permutations allowed by adding numbers, random (but likely) dates of birth, and the e-mail provider (Hotmail, Yahoo!, etc), and you can see how millions of e-mail addresses can be generated in no time at all. Many of these will not exist, however a substantial number are likely to be addresses that are in use. That's probably why you still get spam even if you don't post your e-mail address anywhere on the Web or sign up for anything online.

and then when they DO strike gold they have all the addresses in your mailbox which gives them another load of domain names to do random generations with and so on....

HappyBuddha - perhaps you can give some clarity on this - opening a text based email is probably safe? If you open an attachment or click on a link in a text based email you may get a nasty surprise but i would have thought opening an email from an address you dont recognise that contains only text would be ok.

Basically any file that can contain a macro, e.g. .doc,.html,.xls etc can contain a virus

it doenst come as an attachment or anything just a word doc whenu open mail its there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Forgive me Mrs. V, but it would appear to me from reviewing previous posts such as this thread, that you need to wise up quickly in relation to unsolicited offers or information you are receiving, whether online or as junk mail.
To avoid a situation where you get scammed, you need to abide by the premise that if something appears too good to be true, it IS too good to be true. If you find yourself asking the question "Is this a scam?" then the answer will be yes.

Be VERY suspicious of emails from people you don't know (delete them and do NOT open them). You can get a spam blocker and please please ensure your computer is completely up to date with virus protection and that you have a decent firewall.

I'm not trying to be hard on you, but for your own protection you need to wise up.

Mrs. V, for your homework tonight I want you to write out the following lines 100 times:

1. I will never open email from someone I don't know.

2. If something looks too good to be true, it ALWAYS is.

P.S. If someone asks you for money up front, as in your email when they said

5. THE LOAN AMOUNT MUST BE INSURED FOR SECURITY REASONS BEFORE IT CAN BE TRANSFERED.

you should run a mile. Honestly :eek:

Oh, and I was going add that spelling mistakes in an 'official' looking email are a guarantee of a scam, but given the spelling levels around these here parts I wouldn't rely on people spotting spelling mistakes...

I would just forget about it MrsV, not worth stressing about. If its a relatively new email account you set up and not too many people have your address, you could maybe start afresh armed with a newly created e-mail address and spam-awareness.;) I recommend a googlemail address, it catches a lot of spam and you have infinite(almost) space.

Mrs V, it sounds like you automatically get previews of your email without actually opening the message itself - are you using outlook express? If so, select the View drop down menu, and Layout from that menu. De-select the preview pane and click OK. This will mean that emails will not open unless you specifically open them.

Why in this day of spam, viruses, etc etc, is the preview pane the default setting?!

spelling mistakes in an 'official' looking email are a guarantee of a scam
So is use of a bold purple font! :D

A few years back, as an experiment I registered a hotmail address like [email protected] and left it.

After a while it got spam.

Back