Is this a mobile phone scam? "ring me" text message from a number 50001.

DavyJones

Got a text message from a number 50001 saying that a given mobile no hadn't any credit and asked if i could call it. i didn't know the stated mobile no so deleted the message. is this a legimate mobile service or some kind of scam?

Re: Is this a mobile phone scam?

Probably a scam. Did you recognise the number you were being asked to call?

It's called Ring Me - I think all the operators provide a similar service - the idea is if you don't have credit you can send a ring me txt to the other person to call you.

My children use it all the time to save themselves money (wouldn't you know!).

Obviously you wouldn't ring back a number you don't recognise - it's most likely it was sent to you in error (transposed digit or similar)

I kept getting these from an 085 number for a while. Don't know anyone with on that network so I assumed it was a scam and never responded.

It is a genuine service, I know Meteor definitely offer it.

The sender has to type the number into a text message and send it to 50001 so it is quite easy to make a mistake as most of us are used to dialing numbers directly from our phonebook.

I kept getting these from an 085 number for a while. Don't know anyone with on that network so I assumed it was a scam and never responded.

The mobile number that they requested me to call was also 085. but since i got the text very early saturday morning 01:45, and reading the above post, it makes sence that somebody made a mistake dailing number, probably worse for wear!

Meteor have this.... the kids are on 085 and they send me those "ring me" from that 50001 number all the time!!... its free for them to send it.