Is there any hope for my lawn?

Lanigano

I have a small lawn and to be honest its a bit of an embarressment! Clumpy, full of weeds and quite yellow in places! Is there any point trying to fertilize it and put on weed killer or should I start from scratch and re-lay? I dont fancy the idea of digging up garden so if anyone knows any miracle cure for bad lawns id love to know about them.

Thanks!

I have successfully laid lawn rolls over a very weedy old lawn. You know those rolls of ready-growing lawn that you get from B&Q costing about €4-€5 per sq m. I levelled out some parts where there were holes - and laid the rolls on top of the whole lot last Autumn. It is now Spring and I have the best grass in the estate - not a weed in sight.

Great for a small lawn. Some of the rolls were a bit yellow and dishevelled looking when I laid them - they may have been in the shop too long - but now 7 months later they are all identical.

Gave them a dose of Miracle Grow Lawn Feed soon after laying

is there light getting to your garden ? you can do what gulliver did,will turn out fine but will cost you a bit, i think you should give the garden a bit of time first,its just coming out of winter,wait til a bit of growth comes in and some heat. as for the weeds,any b and q or woodies will have selective weed killer,not round-up!!! spray when the growth comes and see what happens.. grass is the one of few things that will grow again and again.

I have successfully laid lawn rolls over a very weedy old lawn. You know those rolls of ready-growing lawn that you get from B&Q costing about €4-€5 per sq m. I levelled out some parts where there were holes - and laid the rolls on top of the whole lot last Autumn. It is now Spring and I have the best grass in the estate - not a weed in sight.

Great for a small lawn. Some of the rolls were a bit yellow and dishevelled looking when I laid them - they may have been in the shop too long - but now 7 months later they are all identical.

Gave them a dose of Miracle Grow Lawn Feed soon after laying
You laid the lawn rolls on top of weeds, its only a matter of time before the weeds come up through the lawn rolls. When peak growth starts from apr 20th you will see the weeds coming again, you might have some chance if you sprayed the lawn with round up to kill all the old vegetation before you laid the rolls.

is there light getting to your garden ? you can do what gulliver did,will turn out fine but will cost you a bit, i think you should give the garden a bit of time first,its just coming out of winter,wait til a bit of growth comes in and some heat. as for the weeds,any b and q or woodies will have selective weed killer,not round-up!!! spray when the growth comes and see what happens.. grass is the one of few things that will grow again and again.

Yes Kiwi, there is quite a lot of light in garden. Its just the grass seems to be very patchy and has been overtaken by weeds from years of neglect. i think i will try the weedkiller though. Could I throw more grass seed over existing lawn to hel;p it along or would that be daft?

You can throw lawn seeds over existing lawn but they won't grow they need a light covering of soil. Your only hope is to spray with roundup and kill off all the old vegetation after a couple of weeks till the surface to a dept of 1 inch then shake the lawn seeds and cover lightly with soil, you would want it sown before the end of april. The roundup will also prevent the weeds growing back on the new lawn. For more detailed info go to

I have a small lawn and to be honest its a bit of an embarressment! Clumpy, full of weeds and quite yellow in places! Is there any point trying to fertilize it and put on weed killer or should I start from scratch and re-lay? I dont fancy the idea of digging up garden so if anyone knows any miracle cure for bad lawns id love to know about them.

Thanks!

You could try posting your query on [broken link removed] to get further advice.

You laid the lawn rolls on top of weeds, its only a matter of time before the weeds come up through the lawn rolls. When peak growth starts from apr 20th you will see the weeds coming again, you might have some chance if you sprayed the lawn with round up to kill all the old vegetation before you laid the rolls.

Johnny1 : I have put a date in my diary for Apr 20th to send you a photo and report. Signs are looking good, though. Not yet a weed in sight yet

Thats great but there has been no real growth so far this year wait till the soil temperatures rise the weeds will push up through the rolls. To kill off weeds you need to kill the roots as well this is where you will have the problem as you did not kill off the roots. Sorry about contradicting you but I am only stating facts. If you are going to send a photo wait till the end of may let the lawn overgrow for a while so that the weeds (which hopefully won't come through the rolls) will be visible.

Back