Is there any benefit to keeping my student account and credit card?

K

Krew Bot

I have a bank of ireland student credit card for nearly two years, I got it just before I dropped out of college and I have been working full-time since. It has a limit of €400 which suits me as I can't make any crazy spur of the moment purchases. I have to wait a couple of days for the extra money I load into it to clear before I can buy anything over €400, and nine times out of ten I realise I don't need it once the money has transferred in.

I'm on a good salary and go to college part time at night, so I am technically still a student. The bank have rang me a few times saying I should switch from my student account but have never given me a reason why. My question is what are the advantages and disadvantages to keeping my student account and student credit card?

Thanks

There is no major savings in having a Student CC over a normal one. You still have to pay the Gov tax, which is now reduced to €30.
I think the Int charged on the unpaid balance is slightly less on the Student CC, but this will only affect you if you are not in the habit of paying off your card in full each month.
The max CC limit on a student card is approx €1200.....different limits apply to each yr so this one would apply to a final yr student, whereas a 1st yr is around €450.

The difference would be more noticeable in your C/A:-
The advantage to you in upgrading to a normal c/a are that you would be able to get a larger O/D facility if you need it.
The details would be in place if you needed to apply for a car loan, mtge etc. This would speed up the process.
A student loan normally requires a parent to go Guarantor.

Students get free banking (ie.no Fees). A normal c/a will have fees charged unless you make 3 payments per quarter online. All you have to do is pay your c card each month online & you'll have free banking anyway !

Graduates (did you graduate ? ) are entitled to free banking for 2yrs from the date of their graduation.

Graduates are also entitled to a discount on loans of (I think !) 1.5%.

The main advantage used to be that students don't pay Fees.......but now very few people pay fees.