Is there any benefit in drinking decaf tea?

podd

I was reading at the link below the benefits of polyphenols which are contained in most teas...
http://www.healthcastle.com/tea.shtml

Numerous studies have demonstrated the anti-cancer properties of polyphenols. Some studies indeed suggested that tea's polyphenols may reduce risk of gastric, esophageal and skin cancers if one consumes 4 to 6 cups daily. Other laboratory studies have found that polyphenols help prevent blood clotting and lower cholesterol levels. A recent study published in December 2005 showed that just 2 cups of tea may lower the risk of ovarian cancer by 46 percent in women.
At the bottom of the page concerning decaf tea it states...
We do not know whether decaf teas have the same polyphenols, and thus the same health benefits. It is not yet known if removing caffeine also removes polyphenols in the decaffeinating process.
So it is possible that decaf tea may have the polyphenols removed. If polyphenols are removed from decaf tea, are there any benefits in drinking decaf tea over tea which is not decaf?

Try rooibos which is South African bush tea. No caffeine in it to start with and a great taste.

I take mine with no milk or sugar whichmay be a bit of an aquired taste, but try it for a few days.

I would guess that most health food shops would sell it and I know that Lidl here in England does, although I prefer the "Tick Tock " brand from Holland and Barratts.

the nice thing about rooibush tea is that unlike most herbal teas, you can drink it with millk.

100 grams of tea has more caffeine that 100 grams of coffee. But an actual cup of coffee has more caffeine than a cup of tea.

Back