Is there a safety law that prevents sunroofs opening fully? Help!

Bluebean

hi all,

I recently purchased a 2002 toyota corolla off a 2nd hand car dealer.

While I know this is not an excuse, it was lashing rain the day I picked it up, and I did not test that the sunroof opened before taking it away.

The following day, I noticed that the sunroof will only open back about 6 inches before stopping. It will tilt up, but will not slide back the full way. I rang the garage who had given me a 3 month guarantee with the car & told them. They said no problem, bring it back to us and we'll fix it.

Took it back to them about 3 weeks ago, left it with them for the day. Went to pick it up and they told me it would need to go to an auto electrics mechanic in order for it to be fixed. I said ok, I'd drop it back to them the next time I was in the area.

My partner rang them today to tell them I was going to be dropping off the car at the weekend in order to get the sunroof fixed.
They are now saying that they have since found out that there is a new safety law in place that states that a sunroof can only open back 6" before the safety catch comes on. This is to prevent any accidents with children sticking their head out the sunroof and getting it trapped. So they are now saying that if my car has one of these safety catches installed then there is nothing they can do, and that technically I still have a sunroof that allows air in to the car (albeit it only 6" of a sunroof).

My car is a 2002 car that was imported from Northern Ireland, and I doubt very much that any such law existed in 2002 - if indeed it exists now even.

My gut feeling on it is that they found out how much it would cost to replace the entire sunroof, and decided no way were they going to pay for it under guarantee.

I am sickened by their attitude, and dont know what I should do next.

First of all, can anyone tell me if such a law exists that prevents sunroofs sliding the whole way back?

Secondly, what are my rights if they insist that there is nothing 'wrong' with the sunroof? Can I demand my money back, stating that I paid for something which I did not receive?

help!

Not so sure on the law part, but as far as I can remember there was no factory option to get a sun-roof that people went for back then as it was to expensive, most got retro fitted with a sun-roof and as far as I can remember that is as far back as they did go back. Take a look at the glass that's fitted and see if you see the word "Toyota" on it and let me know.

As far as getting your money back, it was probally advertised as having a sun-roof and it has one, it works so you havent paid for something you didn't get.

Its a 1.6 t-spirit model, which if it is the same as UK models, had a One touch electric tilt / slide sunroof with blind as standard from launch date in early 2002.

The owner's manual for the car states that you can put back the sunroof (or moonroof as they call it) as far back as you want, so....?

Soooo....you ring Toyota UK and ask them this question, or email them. Then you bring the answer (which will probably be that the garage is full of BS) and the owners manual to the garage.....oh and bring an attitude with you

.....oh and bring an attitude with you

Why do you say that? Surely if Bluebean goes with all the facts i.e. details from the manufacturer and the owners manual and remains calm and to the point then there is nothing that the dealer can really argue about and some agreement can be reached.

Going with "an attitude" will just annoy the dealer and probably result in a more stressful interaction, with the dealer being less inclined to cooperate. The OP hasn't mentioned that the dealer has been unreasonable or uncooperative so far, OP simply suspects that they are being fobbed off... it may not be the case and the dealer may have gotten some erroneous advice or information.

Best to give the dealer the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise in my opinion.

I have a 00 scenic with dual sunroofs and they only open half way. So I don't know if it's a safety thing or not.