Is there a fee for initial appointment?

koconnor

Hi all,

If I were to seek the use of a solicitor, do I need to pay to meet them and explain what I need done, to see if they can help me with my legal issue?
Many thanks

It really depends. If I have a very detailed consultion with a client which involves me giving legal advice at the end of which we conclude there is no point in the client going any further with their proposal then yes I would charge.

However if someone comes in and asks me if I can do something and the answer is no, then I probably would not charge.

If I put a sign up on the door of the office offering free first consultations I would be inundated. I wouldn't make much money though even though presumably some consultations would go on to be fee earning files. The vast majority would go nowhere. It's not a free legal advice service- there's already one of those offered by the state.

Unfortunately like many services that deal with the public we get our fair share of 'loonys' and for these people the best deterrence is charging a fee.

Ah I understand that if you offer advise you would charge, but if you're unable to help, then charging would be a bit OTT.
"Sorry, I can't help you. That'll be €50 please".

Ah I understand that if you offer advise you would charge, but if you're unable to help, then charging would be a bit OTT.

Well in most cases I wouldn't do that. However there can be circumstances where a person will come in and it could take anywhere from half an hour to an hour or even longer to tease out what they want, to which the answer could well be, eventually, sorry no can do. Depending on the person and the circumstances I might charge. If it were an existing client it would be unlikely. If I felt this was someone who would repeatedly come in and waste both my time and theirs unless I nipped it in the bud I would charge. And varying shades of grey in between. But I repeat- I'm not offering a free legal advice service.

Usually when a solicitor says they can't help it is because there are no practicable legal options opened to the client. The solicitor would still have had to listen to the client's instructions and advise accordingly. Just because the client doesn't get the advice that s/he wants to hear doesn't mean the solicitor shouldn't be paid.

When you go in and see a doctor do they not always charge irrespective of whether they can help or not. You pay a minimum flat rate for their time (unless of course you have a medical card). Why should it be different for a legal consultation?

When you go in and see a doctor do they not always charge irrespective of whether they can help or not.

my GP has dealt with my child's illness and also my (physical) complaint that I tacked on, just because I was there - and only charged me for one consultation. I was impressed and grateful.

A solicitor I consulted with for half an hour, who told me my rights given a certain situation, also didn't charge. Again, I'd use him for any legal work....and I'm picky....I've used a number of different solicitors and found them wanting in one way or another.

I'm a professional myself and occasionally waive the fee - I don't say I will, and I don't always as I've found some people will take you for a ride - when I feel it's warranted for whatever reason.

There is a story - probably apocryphal but I would like to think it happened somewhere - about a notoriously tight fisted guy in a small village (usually in Cavan or Leitrim) who goes to the local solicitor to discuss a small problem, spends a half an hour with him and when leaving is asked to pay a fee; "For what?" says he with indignation. "For my advice" says the solicitor; to which ol' tightwad replies ".......but I'm not taking it".

If a person goe to a solicitor and gets charged €100 to be told that they have no case it could well be the best money they ever spent.

In relation to a separation: How much is generally charged for an initial consultation, letters to the other half and then follow up with me about response from other half?

In relation to a separation: How much is generally charged for an initial consultation, letters to the other half and then follow up with me about response from other half?

Does it not depend on what happens? I very often find that the process of taking a full set of instructions ( without which no letter should be sent), issuing the letter and then following up with the client can take either a few hours or perhaps double or treble that.

In a very simple case, a reasonable fee could be anything from 2-300euro up to 1500.00.

Like everything, it really depends on the circumstances.

mf