Is there a design fault on my freezer ? Should it be replaced ?

twofor1

I have an under-counter freezer in a small utility room off the kitchen. Someone goes in, takes out a pizza and bangs the freezer door shut on their way out (not a hard bang), no problems for years.

A few months ago I replaced this freezer. If you bang the door shut (not a hard bang) on the new freezer on your way out of the utility room it often bounces open and as you have left the room it might not get noticed for hours. Have had to use up or dump food on two occasions now because of this.

If you close the door gently, no issues.

All have been told to close the door gently and check it is closed, but this door will bounce open again.

A child proof freezer lock might be a solution, I am looking at a few on amazon.

I have never had this problem before with any freezer, and all have been used in the same way.

Is this a design fault ?

In this house anyway it is not fit for purpose, have I any comeback ?

It might help if you adjust the floor underneath or legs so that it sits a degree or two differently. Might be less likely to bounce open.

One thing to check is if there has been any ice build up around the drawers or at the back of the drawers (presumably there are drawers) as this might leave one or more of the drawers sitting proud and therefore stopping the door making the correct seal
Otherwise NRC suggestion is a good one and make sure the door is firmly closed after opening rather then "banging" it closed

One thing to check is if there has been any ice build up around the drawers or at the back of the drawers (presumably there are drawers) as this might leave one or more of the drawers sitting proud and therefore stopping the door making the correct seal.
Checked all that tks.
make sure the door is firmly closed after opening rather then "banging" it closed
Yeah, that instruction has been given to all, but old habits etc, it will happen again.

Swinging the door closed is probably a better description of how the door is being closed rather than banging, it has never been an issue with any previous freezer / fridge.

Is it an integrated freezer or stand-alone type? You often get this problem with the integrated type where the door is not fitted absolutely correctly. The weight of the kitchen door can pull against the appliance door and the fitting may need adjustment. Can be very fiddly and awkward:confused:

If it's a stand-alone type, no way should you be having this problem. I'd go back to the retailer and complain.

It's a stand-alone under-counter freezer, not integrated, tks.
As @NoRegretsCoyote said above, adjust the front legs (assuming they are there, most have them) so that should the door 'bounce' open then gravity will gently assist it to fall slowly closed.
This is usually achieved by having the front slightly higher than the back and the hinged side marginally raised compared to the non-hinged side (though often not necessary) .

As @NoRegretsCoyote said above, adjust the front legs (assuming they are there, most have them) so that should the door 'bounce' open then gravity will gently assist it to fall slowly closed.
This is usually achieved by having the front slightly higher than the back and the hinged side marginally raised compared to the non-hinged side (though often not necessary) .
The freezer is sitting in a corner on a slightly off level 1950’s suspended timber floor.
I raised both front legs and then played around with the levels, in my case probably because of the unlevel corner the unhinged side needed a bit more height than the other.

Now the freezer is slightly off level with the countertop which does not bother me in a utility room, all four legs are firmy on the floor, and while the door still does bounce slightly open when you swing it closed the extra front height allows it to fall closed properly.

I still reckon it should not bounce open at all, none of the others ever did in the same corner and all were level with the countertop.

Anyway, problem solved, thanks all for the advice.

Back