Is there a cheaper way than Davys to buy/sell stock

M

micktpg

I have heard that there is a cheaper way online to buy and sell shares ?
Could anybody add any light to this ?

Its seems that Davys charge an annual fee of over €1200 !
Do you have to have an account to buy and sell shares ?
Also do you have to pay commission every time you make a withdrawal ?
Can you sell shares at any time ?
Thanks for your time
Mick

Re: Is there a cheaper way than Davys to buy/sell sto ?ck

I think BOI shares are looking good.
Simply because they have fallen so much !
Can anybody give me any other good stock investments and why,
A friend of mine has purchased CRH shares recently simply because their shares have halved and that they are the only bluechip company in the ISEQ.

Actually i have the answer to one of my questions
online commission Davys
€25 or
0.75% on the first €25,000
0.50% on Balance

Hi Mick,

Check out this page where there are two links for the cheapest Irish and non-Irish stockbrokers.

Askaboutmoney.com doesn't permit discussion of individual shares.

You could try the online UK broker www.selftrade.co.uk. Buying shares because they have dropped or halved in value is not a reason to buy shares. Did you ever think there may be a very good underling reason as to why some shares have dropped in value. If you really want to gamble it is a lot easier to go to the bookies.

I have found to my cost that once a share halves in value the chances of it halving again are extremely high. You can always be lucky once or twice, but not on an ongoing basis.

You need to visit some other financial websites (fool.co.uk, iii.co.uk, yahoo etc) and educate yourself before you start gambling on the stock market where, because of minimum commissions, stamp duty and spreads, the size of the bets is much bigger than in the bookies.

Murt

Davy's are very reasonable really, the service they offer is second to none.

Now in relation to shares, as we can't talk about specific shares I'll talk about banking sector shares in general. Personally I don't believe Irish banks are exposed like the UK Banks and of course the US Banks. The markets are of course very volatile so any shares could easily drop at the moment but you have to look at investment at the moment as long term investments. If you look at the ISEQ it's down an unbelievable about so there's definitely room for the market to come back. The banks could and more than likely will bounce back.

Once this whole thing dies down the banks will level off.

As a wise man once said - "Buy when the world is a afraid"