Is the home cinema superfluous with modern TVs?

Alfie

Hi Folks

Just bought a new LCD tv - 37 toshiba X3030D and am waiting for its delivery. I am thinking of getting a new DVD player - whether it be high Def or whatever, but am wondering if with the supposed great sound quality from these new tvs, whether a full speaker system and sub whoofer is needed - am moving old tv and surround sound upstairs.

Any thoughts?

Also, anybody have an opinion on the benefits of DVD player with hard drive for recording over traditional recorder? Can these then write DVDs from stored content on the hard drive?

If you buy one of the hard drvie versions, would this preclude the need to get sky+??

Thanks

I'd guess it depends on the specific TV you are talking about, and how fussy you are about sound. never heard that one so I can't comment.

Hard drive recording is far easier IMO

In my experience no. Generally the integration with the schedule is much better and more featured on the Sky+ system. That said you pay a subscription for it, so theres a cost factor.

the sound quality may be good from the new tvs but it is still a long way away from matching a decent subwoofer and a separate pair of speakers behind you

I have a DVD/HDD recorder that I bought in LIDL 18 months ago and it's the ONLY way to go!! You can do what you mentioned plus so much more. Mine (& most of them) has timeshift like sky+ so you can pause live tv, record onto the hdd from the tv or dvd and back to dvd, copy analogue tapes to the hdd then edit and record to dvd (great for converting VHS tapes of the kids to dvd). The list goes on and on.............

I have a DVD/HDD recorder that I bought in LIDL 18 months ago and it's the ONLY way to go!! You can do what you mentioned plus so much more. Mine (& most of them) has timeshift like sky+ so you can pause live tv, record onto the hdd from the tv or dvd and back to dvd, copy analogue tapes to the hdd then edit and record to dvd (great for converting VHS tapes of the kids to dvd). The list goes on and on.............

I have a Sony one. The only problem I have is that on NTL the station times don't always seem to be in synch. So programs don't always start/end on time. Have you had any such issues?

I've seen (& heard) several of these 'surround sound' systems which do away with the rear speakers, and none has come close to actually having speakers behind you. I don't think any of the new tvs have changed that. If you have an existing surround sound system you'll probably notice what I mean as soon as you stick on a DVD.

You can pick up a DVD player / surround sound system with 5 speakers and subwoofer for 200-300 euro - it should sound much better than using just the tv speakers.

I'd also recommend the Sky+ (or NTL variant) ... one of the big bonuses is that you can flick through the on-screen schedule, and just hit record, and it will record the programme for you. No messing with timers, or having to leave the NTL/Sky box on the right channel ...

Hi Folks

Just bought a new LCD tv - 37 toshiba X3030D

Great choice on the TV. Fantastic reviews. Great brand. I have the same TV, but the C series (HD ready 1366x 768). You have gone for full HD, 1920 x 1080. To truly experience the amazing picture quality that this TV gives, you should purchase either a HD DVD, or Blu Ray player. I went for the HD DVD player. They are also manufactured only by Toshiba. Not only do they play HD DVD's, they also upscale your existing DVD collection to give improved picture quality. Blu ray is the opposing DVD format, and by all accounts is winning the battle between them.

Back