Is the Croke Park agreement sacrosanct because it would impact on TD's etc??

NOAH

Am I right in assuming that the real reason the CP Agreement is set in stone is that if any changes were made to pay scales ie downward, it would impact on TD's salaries and others as well, ie downwards, if this is the case it is no wonder it will not be revisited and why it was signed up to in the first instance.

They must think we are right eejits.

noah

No, it won't be changed because all political parties now, rightly or wrongly, perceive the public sector vote as one block and so they are all trying to keep them happy by lying to them; “We won’t cut your pay”.

Purple, I dont agree with much of what you say, but I am with you on this one.

Regards

Leper

Aha, so I was right, what a clever deal for the TD's. No mention of a cut in salaries.

The country is bust but ........ that's not sufficient reason to re-open the CP agreement!!

I would say politicians in this country are on the slippery road to oblivion.

noah

No, it won't be changed because all political parties now, rightly or wrongly, perceive the public sector vote as one block and so they are all trying to keep them happy by lying to them; “We won’t cut your pay”.

Either that or they agree with your assertion after the 2010 budget that the Public Sector have paid their share .

Either that or they agree with your assertion after the 2010 budget that the Public Sector have paid their share .

At that point they had. Now the country is in receivership things have changed. I still think they should not be singled out for unilateral pay cuts but numbers have to be reduced to a level that the state can afford. I am glad that retired public sector employees are now getting hit rather than just the current crop that are paying the levy and the pensions of those that have gone before.

So both of us agree that the Croke Park agreement should be honoured ?

No pay cuts and voluntary redundancies.

So both of us agree that the Croke Park agreement should be honoured ?

No pay cuts and voluntary redundancies.

No, I don't agree. There should be redundancies and lots of them. If the state still can't foot the bill then cut pay. As shnaek said, it's about living within a budget, i.e. not living on borrowed money.

No, I don't agree. There should be redundancies and lots of them. If the state still can't foot the bill then cut pay. As shnaek said, it's about living within a budget, i.e. not living on borrowed money.

Redundancies and lots of them - voluntary or otherwise ?

After all voluntary redundancies effectively cut the pay bill .

So if such redundancies reduce the pay bill sufficiently to meet budgetary and IMF requirements then you would be happy ?

Redundancies and lots of them - voluntary or otherwise ?

After all voluntary redundancies effectively cut the pay bill .

So if such redundancies reduce the pay bill sufficiently to meet budgetary and IMF requirements then you would be happy ?

I am in favour of small government so anything that reduces the size of it is welcome.
The fact that it will help to meet budgetary requirements is an added bonus.

I am in favour of small government so anything that reduces the size of it is welcome.
The fact that it will help to meet budgetary requirements is an added bonus.

Excellent , agreement is the best path forward I find !

I've said it before and Ill say it again,the only reason the present government are "saying" the Croke park agreement wont be touched is to keep the PS on their side.They can then go to an election saying,lads we did what we could..
This will not last, the IMF will sort it out..

I know that you put great faith in the IMF slashing Public Sector pay , increments etc and sidelining the Unions.

Now that that has failed to happen I can understand your bitterness particularly as the IMF have basically signed off on both the 4 year plan and the forthcoming budget.

I do appreciate that things may change in the future but can we not at least park this debate until or if it becomes a live issue again ?

It has only been stalled..do you honestly believe that the existing agreement will remain?

Really interesting use of language " bitterness" "slashing public sector pay" " sidelining the unions" all very strong.... fascinating how you interpret others thoughts..

Ah good , so you don't want to see public sector pay slashed nor do you wish to see the unions sidelined ?

Good to learn.

Ah good , so you don't want to see public sector pay slashed nor do you wish to see the unions sidelined ?

Good to learn.
You asked a question of me as in "?" and then went on to answer the question yourself..Charming..
So you misquote me and now you are answering questions on my behalf..sounds to me like you are just short of posting on my behalf