Is the broadcast media moratorium a ridiculous impediment on freedom of expression?

Yes, I believe that the moratorium is a ridiculous infringement on the freedom of speech and press, and I have no idea why it hasn't yet been challenged.

It is not legally binding, it is merely an agreement.

Are you sure about that? The Broadcasting Authority of Ireland is the regulator for the broadcasting sector in Ireland.

The BAI "shall prepare........ codes governing standards and practice (“broadcasting code”) to be observed by broadcasters."

It is a recognition of the power of the media and the ability to 'play' the media by using a last minute ambush / grenade / ied or whatever term Martin would prefer.

People are bombarded with analysis, opinion and reporting - it is good to give people a day to gather their thoughts before voting. Ideally you would not need to do this and everyone would take the time, but busy lives and other priorities means a moratorium is needed to help manage our time !!

It's neccesary and a good idea
Sure you could throw out a landmine and some photoshopped pics and there is no time left to refute it

The campaign is over a month old, anything we need to know we know already
There was enough muck spread around for everyone

It is not legally binding, it is merely an agreement.

It's legally binding on Independent broadcasters licensed in the state. The RTE moratorium is self imposed.

I have serious Aras fatigue after 9 months of people going on about it so it's nice to safely switch on the TV and radio.

I would like to see it extended to newspapers on election day. Memories of "payback time" highlight the need for that.

The moratorium is not an impediment on anything. We have had wall-to-wall campaigning. The moratorium creates an oasis effect where decent people can mull over the candidates and what has happened before and during the campaign.

It is quality thinking time. I believe the 'moratorium day' should be extended to the whole campaign and all media. Even This post will be deleted if not edited immediately rested on the 7th Day.

Out of curiosity, what would happen if some very important news on one of the candidates came to light during the ban. Would tv and radio be able to report on it or are there no exceptions? For example one of the papers could have printed a story yesterday and tv and radio would just have to ignore it?

Its an absolute joke.

The Daily Star leads today with a full-page front cover photo of Michael D Higgins, and the headline 'HURRICANE HIGGINS'. How impartial is that?

On election morning in 1997, the Indo led with a front page editorial headed 'Payback Time' where they implored their hundreds of thousands of readers to vote for Fianna Fail. The broadcast media moratorium meant that the out the incumbent government couldn't reply until after the election. How impartial was that?

The way the moratorium is structured, if one of the election candidates had been assassinated last night, it would be illegal for TV3 or any of the independent radio stations to report this until 10pm tonight.

I think it is a bit of a watse when you see the Indo has a story on the Gallagher affair this morning and the majority of people still have yet to vote.

and how do you suggest this could this be implemented in the case of UK newspapers (including local and provincial NI newspapers) selling here?

I believe BBC Newsnight covered certain aspects of the presidential campaign last night.

RTE could comment away unimpeded.

There is a clause in the legislation that allows for broadcast of material of national importance. RTE have broken their moratorium in the past, the Kelly case in 2002 comes to mind (the ruling that Oireachtas facilities qualified as election expenses)

and how do you suggest this could this be implemented in the case of UK newspapers (including local and provincial NI newspapers) selling here?

I believe BBC Newsnight covered certain aspects of the presidential campaign last night.

The current moratorium only applies to broadcasters licensed within the state, BBC, UTV, SKY etc are exempt. As would international publications. As someone has pointed out, our national newspapers are known to have actively sought the affect the outcome of the election in the past, that is at least as important as hearing something on the news.