Is the Aer Lingus Frequent Flyer programme any use to the occasional traveller?

Brendan Burgess

Founder
I presume that the name Frequent Flyer says it all. If I make half a dozen flights a year, mainly to the UK or european destinations, I presume it's of no value to me?

Brendan

Other tha saving you entering the same info everytime I don't see much benifit. In fact, one time I was booking a flight for someone else and forgot to change the name to the other person so I ended up in Birmingham for the same two days.

Frequent Flyer with some of the long haul airlines has gotten me an upgrade once or twice.
I did get a free flight once with Aer Lingus (I had to pay tax) using points earned on BA & Qantas. If you're a member of a few partner airlines the points add up and it's not much hassle, so why not collect them and as elcato says it saves your info.

I'd say no, The Aerlingus gold circle is one of the poorest programs out there. You need 2400 points for membership to kick in within a 12 month period, so unless you're flying transatlantic >4 times a year or UK every 2 weeks, forget it.

I have delta skymiles which just keep accumulating, and the same with American Airlines. I use gold circle just to store my details, but I mostly fly transatlantic with Delta.

I'd say no, The Aerlingus gold circle is one of the poorest programs out there. You need 2400 points for membership to kick in within a 12 month period, so unless you're flying transatlantic >4 times a year or UK every 2 weeks, forget it.

+1 on all this.

I am an Air France Frequent flyer but to gain any benefit you need to be at least a silver which requires 15 flights a year or 30,000 qualifying miles. The cheapest tickets get you only 25% of the actual miles so accumulating miles and status is very difficult...and this program is significantly better than Aer Lingus, though poor in its own ways ;)

Back