Is Sallynoggin (Dun Laoghaire) a safe and nice area for a young family?

greenturtle

Hi,

We're looking at a house in Sefton, Rochestown avenure, in Dun Laoghaire, right across from the National Rehabilitation Hospital .
I heard that Sallynoggin area is not the nicest, with a lot of social housing around.
I was wondering if anyone is familiar with the area? Is it safe/quiet? Any anti-social behavior in the streets/shops?
Is the hospital something to be concerned about in any way?
And any other insights you may have :)

Thanks!

Sallynoggin is a working class area, it's a mixed bag. All around Dublin you have working class areas converging on middle upper class areas. Irishtown and Sandymount are right beside each other for example. The hospital is a rehab hospital, it's for people recovering from serious injury or strokes. You won't have wailing ambulances in the middle of the night. I think the 46A goes by at Bakers Corner too. This is the main bus route to the city from south dublin and it is very regular.

Sallynoggin is a working class area, it's a mixed bag. All around Dublin you have working class areas converging on middle upper class areas. Irishtown and Sandymount are right beside each other for example. The hospital is a rehab hospital, it's for people recovering from serious injury or strokes. You won't have wailing ambulances in the middle of the night. I think the 46A goes by at Bakers Corner too. This is the main bus route to the city from south dublin and it is very regular.

Thanks!
What do you mean by "working class"? Is it still an area with social housing? Considered safe or not? (for children, women, in general...)

Rochestown Avenue is a nice road but busy with traffic. It depends where in Sefton your house is located. At the back you may be nearer the more Industrial side of Sallynoggin. Good shopping in the area, nice Lidl on your doorstep. Windyridge Nurseries beautiful. Killiney Shopping Centre down the road. Close to NCT testing centre. Bakers Corner is a busy corner for traffic. However you can get to most places pretty quickly from Rochestown Avenue due to all the roads in the area criss-crossing each other.

Is it still an area with social housing?
Many (most?) areas in Dublin with older social housing have a significant percentage of now privately owned property. Drive / walk around the area yourself (when restrictions lifted). Don't forget to check out where your local schools would be.

Sefton has a good reputation and sought after. If the house is at the Rochestown road end of Sefton then there shouldn't be any concerns about proximity to Sallynoggin. If the house is very near or borders on to playing pitches/ park area I'd be be wary of.
Also there is a halting site near Sefton (near the car dealers almost opposite Rehab hospital) - not wanting to be alarmist or accused of not being politically incorrect. Just saying.

rochestown avenue is fine, i find it a little soulless but its near lots of supermarkets and its not far to dalkey or dun laoghaire or blackrock.

Sefton has a good reputation and sought after. If the house is at the Rochestown road end of Sefton then there shouldn't be any concerns about proximity to Sallynoggin. If the house is very near or borders on to playing pitches/ park area I'd be be wary of.
Also there is a halting site near Sefton (near the car dealers almost opposite Rehab hospital) - not wanting to be alarmist or accused of not being politically incorrect. Just saying.
Sorry for the ignorance but what's a halting site? (you can also reply in PM if more comfortable...) I see there's one in woodpark close to Sallynoggin Aldi, is that the one you meant?

A halting site is a Traveller settlement.

There’s nuance in every area of Dublin, but Sallynoggin would have a bad name.

A halting site is a Traveller settlement.

There’s nuance in every area of Dublin, but Sallynoggin would have a bad name.
I would say that Sallynoggin had a bad name, I wouldn't say it does now. It's a mixed area and I'm not sure I'd regard Sefton as being in Sallynoggin proper anyway.
OP do you mind me asking if you're Irish? (Just the questions you're asking about working class/halting site imply not). Where are you currently living, if we know that we might be able to compare for you.

Hi. I am familiar with Sefton and the area around it. The estate itself seems nice but it's not walking distance to Dunlaoigre or Cabinteely which are where the local amenities are. By car everything is very handy though. For the same money I think there are better locations you could look at.

There is a new pedestrian entrance from Sefton into Honeypark, from there across the road into Cualanor and straight into Dun Laoghaire town (15 min walk).

its a great area.

Wasn't that where Dustin the Turkey was from ," the 'Noggin" as he called it, so obviously he was inspired by some characters from that neck of the woods.

Back