Is roofer's bill excessive?

L_earner

Roofer replaced six roof tiles and a cowl over a vent, all blown off by a storm. He got on the roof through a skylight, so did not have the expense of a lift platform or ladders to get up. Working alone, he spent a day and a half doing it, which I assumed included tons of down time, because I could not see how the work could take that long. Got the bill. €800. He did repairs for me in the past and I was very happy with the price and quality of his work, so I didn't bother getting a quote from him this time.
Is he fleecing me?

You lucky he didn't fall off, working on a roof without adequate precautions. If he had fallen off you probably would have been sued for thousands.

Sounds expensive. I have had individual roof slates repaired over the years. About 35 euro each time. Up and down a ladder. 30 mins max each time. Are you sure the job was not more complex than described.

Reactions: PMU
This month I had roofers work on a 1st floor roof, removing tiles, replacing membrane and lead flashing, to stop a leak onto the ceiling of the room below.

Boss + 3 workers, boss not present all the time

3 hrs

1,800 euro.

The following week, heavy rain, leak returned, drip, drip, drip.

He did work before for you so was at least kinda recommended. Did you ask him why it was so expensive and that you weren't expecting that high a bill ? If it took him genuinely a day and a half then it seems OK. Who paid for the tiles/cowl ? They may be expensive.

Roofer replaced six roof tiles and a cowl over a vent, all blown off by a storm.
He may have had to repair damaged roofing felt as well as new flashing around the new cowel. Go up into your attic and see what the roofing felt is like under the area where he did the work.

Back