Is Robbie Keane Useless?

I agree. We will miss him when he is gone. Ireland does not actually produce many players capable of scoring that amount of goals at international or premiership level. I don't care if they are screamers from outside the box or if they go in off his This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language.

Having said that, I always thought he had more potential than he actually fulfilled. Same with Damien Duff. However both players have been great servants to Ireland and when you compare them to someone like Stephen Ireland who people talked about like he was the best thing like sliced bread on the back of one good season, it makes you realise how lucky we have been.

He is not one of our best ever though!

. . your first line would suggest you don't watch the sport much or at the very least have an understanding of it.
Indeed, probably both Eamon. I used to watch soccer but rarely do now; too many cheats and prima donnas.

He strikes me as a player whose ratio of chances to goals is too high, e,g, he needs about 5 chances to score one goal. In tight games, such as important international games, you can't be that profligate with chances.

The same was said about Andy Cole and he couldn't shake that tag despite his record and trophy haul. Good strikers not only score, but get themselves into positions to make chances for themselves. I'm not Keanes biggest fan, but to score as much as he has means that he has done something right, if he was to hit every 5 chances for the one he scores then his tally would be over 600 prem goals which kind of puts things into perspective.

Indeed, probably both Eamon. I used to watch soccer but rarely do now; too many cheats and prima donnas.

I thought posting my real name was against posting guidelines!

but ' He tends to run into the box, maybe handle the ball, then fall over and look for a penalty. He falls over a lot.' seems more like a dig at a football personality rather than any actual awareness of his game.
The cheats and prima dona debate is for another day.

but ' He tends to run into the box, maybe handle the ball, then fall over and look for a penalty. He falls over a lot.' seems more like a dig at a football personality rather than any actual awareness of his game.
Not intended as a dig. Just my, admittedly glib, view on how he plays.

Me neither. He tends to run into the box, maybe handle the ball, then fall over and look for a penalty. He falls over a lot. Also, I'm not sure he scores many crucial/winning goals.

Last minue penalty against Spain in 2002. Last minute goal against Germany in 2002. Goal against France in Paris in 2009???

not totally useless, but if you take out his penalities, then his goals per game rate is nothing to write home about. He's just a middle of the road striker who has never played for a major club.

Scoring penalties in high pressure situations is not easy (as the english soccer team have shown us many times over the years). It is actually a skill in itself you know?

Looking at his stats it seems he has scored in 24 of 66 competitive matches for Ireland, and his goal(s) had a material impact on the result in 16 of those. Dunno how many were from the spot. Maybe he is great. I must resolve to watch the next Ireland game.

Looks like I'm in a slight minority about poor old Robbie! Apart from Spurs first time round, no club seemed interested in holding onto him and that says a lot. And Fergusson wouldn't touch him when he was leaving Wolves, despite many Irish people saying, at the time, that Fergie was mad not to snap him up! I know he's our top goalscorer but I think a better player would have a much better return from the same number of chances. He does act like a headless chicken at times and is a great one for moaning when it suits him. Many of you have made fair points in his defence but I still think that if he wasn't Irish, we'd be asking, Robbie who? I'd like to see him have a few good seasons before he retires but I don't expect he will. Still, I'd be happy for him to prove me wrong......

And Leeds ... massive club! (Ok so I might be biased there! )

Definitely the best post in this thread, Ceist Beag! A sleeping giant. I'm glad we eased up in the latter part of the season, as another year of team building will stand to us when we go up next year.

I'll bet he wouldn't have got past [broken link removed], in your heyday!

When asked about pace , Beckenbauer said that he wasn't the quickest between A & B but then again he rarely started from A !

but I still think that if he wasn't Irish, we'd be asking, Robbie who? I'd like to see him have a few good seasons before he retires but I don't expect he will. Still, I'd be happy for him to prove me wrong

I think we might still realise who he is, he has been playing top flight football for a decade or so.

This thread was about whether he is useless or not, and that is out of order. He is not going to go down as a great footballer, but he has proven to be a very good one, and a great servant to Ireland.

Spurs and Celtic aren't in European terms(regardless of what Spurs did this season) and Keane was a flop at the other 2

He wasn't given a chance at Liverpool, how many players flourish in the first 6 months of their contract? If United did the same then Evra and Vidic would never have been the success that time proved them to be.

He has become a great servant of Robbie Keane as well.

Maybe it's a side effect of having the surname of Keane!

He wasn't given a chance at Liverpool, how many players flourish in the first 6 months of their contract? If United did the same then Evra and Vidic would never have been the success that time proved them to be.

I agree with you there, and you could see how frustrating it was for him but, you have to ask the question, Why couldn't he break into the team on a regular basis.......?

I agree with you there, and you could see how frustrating it was for him but, you have to ask the question, Why couldn't he break into the team on a regular basis.......?

Look at Torres at Chelsea, he has been dropped after some woeful performances and scored four less goals than keane in the same period. Torres is still a brilliant player and will fire on all cylinders next season, but he has found bedding in to a new system difficult as have his team mates in adjusting to him, six months is not enough especially for a striker.