Is Reg important?

Cuppa

Would you buy a car with a KY reg if you live in Mayo or Cork?
Do cars from certain counties hold their value better?
I spotted a lovely car from a way out west, from a county I have no connection with so Ms is a bit iffy about it, might not look good in the drive? Is it saying to the neighbours that I am a cheap skit that I traveled the country to save a few Euros? Well thats what she said?

I ve often wondered this!

I notice that the car hire companies register their cars in the most bizzare little counties like OY and LM where they have very little operations.

I remember years ago people saying that they would not buy a car from a coastal (salt water corrosion) county or one from a hilly city (no prizes for guessing which city that is!)

Teh main thing is the mileage on the car, IMO, adnt he type of roads that it was mainly used on.

Then, a car from Dublin/cork will have more clutch wear than one form Kerry? But the car from Kerry will have hit more potholes?

Is it saying to the neighbours that I am a cheap skit that I traveled the country to save a few Euros? Well thats what she said?

Well as it is second hand who is to say that the previous owners had not moved to your more salubrious location and traded in locally.

If you are really worried about this you should buy new - possibly a mercedes or maybe a porsche as then the neighbours will have no doubts to your non-cheap skatedness!

The county of registration may not be the county the car either lived or was driven in! I live in Co Louth, but my previous 2 cars (both bought new) have MH registrations (my choice, c'mon the Royals!).

It might be to ones advantage to register a new high end car with a 'D' reg. A second hand Aston Martin, Porsche or high end Merc might be hard to shift second hand with a 'KY' plate for instance.

I sold my car privately at the w/e.

It's a low volume high performance car, with an L reg.

No issues whatsoever.

I live in dublin. Husband's car is KE, mine is SO. His was bought second hand in Dublin (northside, nowhere near Kildare) so presume the previous owner lived in Dublin, can't see why anyone would sell their car in another county. I bought mine second hand in Meath, so God only knows where it had lived. Don't think the reg will tell you anything definite about where the car has been driven.

Interesting question. Not something I would have given thought to... but may do in future.

I have heard some people claim that they would be wary of cars from counties with reputations for bad quality roads.
I also know someone who will only buy a second hand car with the reg of his original home, as he thinks it would be letting the side down to be driving a D car.

This is a funny thread!! My auntie lives in Cavan, but is from meath. She would never buy a CN reg car (partly because they tend to be a bit scabby!!)

Her husband who is from cavan cudnt care less. He drives a d reg. But she most definate has to be a MH.

I often wondered about it, i dunno why but i dont think i could ever own a D or a KE reg car or a DL mmm...werid I am..anyways

Limerick has an added layer of snobbery around this — 'L' for the townies, 'LK' for County. I'm frequently amazed when meeting new people how many of them hasten to specify that they're from the latter.

Actually no, scratch that...

Resale value of a country registered car will be lower than Dublin Reg if you trade it in in Dublin.