Is Rathmines safe?

MrsH

Hi all,

I know there are a few posts about this already but they all seem to be quite old. We're looking at a house on Upper Rathmines Road and I'd always thought of that as a really nice, safe area. But I've been dong some research and from what I've read, I'm now worrying that maybe I was wrong about this. A woman was stabbed in her house on Upper Rathmines Road last summer! And the general consensus seems to be that it's not that nice after all. I'd love some advice from anyone who lives there or has lived there.

We're planning on making this our home for the long haul and bringing up our family there and I want to make sure that we're buying in a safe, family friendly area.

Any advice greatly appreciated, thank you.

There is a local authority flat complex behind Tesco, and most of the properties from there to say Church Ave are rentals / multiple occupancy, but further south (e.g. towards Cowper Ave) properties are increasingly family homes. I presume you are buying on one of the roads off Upper Rathmines Rd itself otherwise traffic noise could be a problem. Also, I don’t know if it could be an issue but the Swan River runs underground to the east (I think!) of Upper Rathmines Rd.

I used to live there and I'd be back like a shot if I could afford it! I was in Mayo a couple of weeks ago and a woman was murdered in a tiny village. Doesn't mean it's a dangerous village.

We're actually buying on Rathmines Road itself but can handle the traffic noise if it means a nice house in a nice area. Where we're buying isn't far from Church Avenue, hopefully its safe enough though. Thanks for the comments anyway guys, much appreciated.

Rathmines has a very high transient population. Lots of flats and bedsits. You'll get a mix of people living there; students, young couples and also loners with problems. I know someone living there in a bedsit and wouldn't want to live with any of their neighbours. I find it a bit dodgy at night time. That said there are lovely settled parts of Rathmines. Walking up the road at night time be prepared to meet anyone - just as you would in city centre.

Hi Pebbledash,
Thanks for your response. Which would you say are the nice settled bits of Rathmines? I've looked at our location again and we would actually be just opposite Church avenue on upper rathmines road. Any thoughts on this bit of Rathmines? From what PMU was saying, it doesn't sound an ideal location.....

No where is 100% safe 100% of the time. Have you walked around the area during the day, or in the evenings or late at night? Why not try that? Your sense of personal safety (or lack thereof) could answer your own question.

Hi Beffers,

No I know that nowhere is 100% safe, 100% of the time! But obviously some places are significantly safer than others. I do know the area a bit, I've just not lived there and am worried that particular bit is not great. Was hoping to get some opinions from people with personal experience of it. Will definitely have a little wander round it myself at night though, for sure.

Thanks.

As has been stated I believe the majority of houses along that stretch have been divided into flats. You're also a stones throw from a number of pubs and late night fast food places. It's not a location that I'd want to put down roots (not that I could afford it), and tbh I don't think it sounds like what you're looking for. I'd suggest looking for houses on a quieter/more settled street, perhaps slighty further from town.

Back