Is property investment becoming a Pyramid scheme

J

jister

After reading this article in the Irish independent this morning I believe it must be turning into a Pyramid scheme:

A large chunk of economic growth is being driven by the construction industry - but how will that growth be affected when the building sector turns down?

THERE is no doubt now that over 80,000 new dwellings will be completed this year. In the last three years, one dwelling has been built for every ten adults in the country, including all those who already had one. What on earth is going on?

Yet prices, while not galloping ahead at their previous breakneck speed, appear still to be clipping along at around a 9pc annual increase. Even more amazing, and perhaps alarming, are suggestions from estate agents that we might get a similar pace of building next year as well.

It is a little early to be definite about that. But given what we know about planning permissions and registrations, it seems unlikely that fewer than 70,000 more units will be built next year.

This must be more dwellings than there are people to live in them, or else all the statistics about population and household formation are complete nonsense. They may be a bit wrong, but they can hardly be that wrong. Indeed, Davy Stockbrokers reckons that around half the new homes built in the last seven years must be empty, or being used as second homes.

This also seems hard to believe, although it is clear that a lot of people have acquired second properties for themselves, and there are reports of vacant and unsold properties, at least in certain areas. Like all these kinds of things, we will not know for sure until the fat lady sings - either an aria on the joys of a soft landing, or the Gotterdammerung of a price collapse.

But, if we may not be sure what drives the house-building boom, we have a very good idea of what is being driven by it - a large chunk of economic growth. This was very clear from last week's figures for such growth in the second quarter of the year.

The scale of house-building in 2004 translated into a 20pc increase in construction in the April-June period compared with the same period last year. It is a spectacular rate of growth, and all the more spectacular when one considers the importance of construction in the whole economy.

On CSO figures, construction made up a quarter of the 4.1pc year-on-year growth in national income (GNP). On other figures, it is even higher. If we take a shorter snapshot, starting in 2003 rather than the CSO statistical base of 1995, then half the growth came from construction - most of it housing.

Nothing wrong with that, per se. Construction, after all, is the very essence of output. What could be more solid than bricks and mortar, followed by furniture and fittings? It is a lot easier to understand than the contribution of software writing, never mind fund management.

But it does make it necessary to take a more careful look at those buoyant growth figures. They seem to confirm forecasts that, for the year as a whole, the economy will grow by at least 5pc in real terms, which is about as good as it gets.

However, while we may not know what the property market is doing, still less where it will peak, we do know that building cannot continue at this pace for ever. Just as Celtic Tiger growth rates would have made the Irish economy the size of the United States' in 25 years, so 80,000 units a year would eventually see every adult living alone in a place of their own, in rather less than 25 years.

When construction does turn down, it will produce a significant drag on growth. This is one of those rare, but useful, moments to recall what "growth" means. It is not the actual level of income or output, but the increase from one year to the next. If house-building falls from 80,000 a year to 70,000, it is still 70,000 extra homes, and an extraordinary level of output, but it is negative growth. Such are the ways of statistics.

As the chart shows, there has always been a strong connection between construction and GNP, but the building industry is now so big that negative growth there would knock a good chunk off national growth.

Nothing short of disaster would produce a fall in national figures. But, without the contribution of construction, annual growth in the second quarter would have been 3pc on the CSO measure, and 2pc if based on last year's performance. And remember, anything less than 80,000 houses next year and there is no contribution from that sector.

So it is worth looking at the other components of growth up to June. Suddenly, things look a good deal more pedestrian. In particular, the rise in personal consumption, at 2.2pc in real terms, was a lot less impressive than many had hoped.

Consumption - the main driver of the economy - had been muted for the previous twelve months. Analysts still hope for something better in the second half of the year. Retail sales figures - and my Henry Street indicator mentioned a few weeks ago - suggest their hopes may be realised as people become more confident about job prospects and the general economy.

The same may not be true of industry, where production statistics and the monthly NCB survey suggest performance remains modest. The CSO put year-on-year growth at 2.9pc to the second quarter. Export growth of 6.6pc is flattered by comparison with the disasters of this time last year. The fact is that exports have grown just 5pc in nine months of "recovery".

How does one square this solid, but hardly exciting, performance against the buoyant tax revenues revealed on Monday, and forecasts of a new tiger cub delivering 6pc growth over the next several years? Well, house-building is a real boon for the Exchequer, in everything from stamp duty to VAT on furniture.

As for the outlook, it must be said that the figures for jobs growth are highly encouraging, and this is swelling both government coffers and national income. One of the great unanswered questions is how the economy generated so many jobs in the early stages of recovery. If it continues to do so, the optimists may well be proved right in the end - or as near as makes no difference.

re pyramid scheme

I read the article this morning and I agree with alot of what it says. From anecdotal evidence over the last few years I have noticed how much economic activity in Ireland is now construction related. The construction industry was probably the biggest creator of jobs over the last few years. If the construction boom had not continued after 2001 then we would have had a real recession. As I said before in another thread the natural end to the boom in construction should have been in 2001. Up to 2001 the housing boom was been driven by first time buyers however since then it has been driven by speculation and people buying second homes for investment. Up to 2001 the sexy occupations were in software and technology, the lifestyle magazines were filled with stories about the dot com millionaires. Of course we all no where that went. Now the sexy occupations are in the construction industry, home improvements, architecture and gardening and today this is what the lifestyle magazines are full of.
The construction boom is based on confidence, confidence that someone else will be prepared to buy your property for a higher price than you paid for it. This is what lies behind all pyramid schemes including the dot com one. It is also true that the end of the property boom has been predicted for a long time now by many respected commentators and it hasn't happened yet. In a way this is actually fueling the boom. As soon as someone such as the economist says that property is due for a fall there is a plethora of people from the bank of ireland to the association of auctioneers out to shoot it down. All these people have vested interests in maintaining the boom. The property boom is far far more dangerous than the dot com boom because so much of the economy is now involved in it. Indeed it can be argued that the dot com bust hasn't happened yet it is waiting for the property crash. We are still waiting for the 2001 recession and every year it is delayed will make the consequences graver and graver

boom boom bust

At the moment there are 80K houses being built per annum. If it falls to 60K per annum then there will be a lot of builders out of work and they will have to cut their labour rates etc. etc. Once a downward spiral starts it may be very difficult to stop it.

A comparison to pyramid scheme does not seem very vaild, but I would compare it to the shoeshine telling me to buy buy buy.

Take a look at the Housing Statistics bulletin from the Department of the Environment web site, March Quarter 2004 (It's in the July press releases section). It states that second hand House prices FELL for those three months. Only by ~1.6% but it was a fall. New house prices rose by less than ~2%. This is certainly not the 12% self fullfilling prophecies on the Irish Independent's breaking news from the estate agents.

Nobody wants to say the emperor has no clothes. The next Housing statistics bulletin should be out in about three weeks. I'm looking forward to it.

> Nobody wants to say the emperor has no clothes.

Didn't The Economist magazine accuse the Emperor of peregrinating in his nip a few years ago but he's been well dressed all the while?

Only once in the case of a stopped 24 hour digital clock. :p

If a 24 hour digital clock is stopped in the woods will it still make a noise if a bear shits on it?

"The next Housing statistics bulletin should be out in about three weeks. I'm looking forward to it."

Owenmorie, why exactly are you looking forward to it? Are you expecting a drop in house prices??

I guess you were to slow to purchase a few years ago when even the dogs on the street were able to make easy money by buying property

bulletin

I'm looking forward to it too. I don't care if my home is devalued by 50% - its paper value means nothing to me.

Re: bulletin

Yes I was too slow a few years ago to buy property, but anyone with a second or third house would do well to remember that you haven't made (or lost) any money until you have sold.

Re: bulletin

Owenmorie,

If you do not own any investment properties why are you looking forward to the housing bulletin so much?

Why is it that (some) people who have not invested in property cannot wait for prices to fall?? Good old Irish begrudgery perhaps!

Re: re pyramid scheme

Indeed it can be argued that the dot com bust hasn't happened yet it is waiting for the property crash

You wouldn't be saying that if you worked in IT.

Re: boom boom bust

At the moment there are 80K houses being built per annum.

According to http://www.environ.ie/DOEI/DOEIPol.nsf/0/7a32c480a1af4f1e80256b57004f91c5/$FILE/Leaflet.pdf (this) report "2002 and 2003 were the 8th and 9th consecutive years of record housing output with 57,695 and 68,819 completions, respectively throughout the state...

...Output remains high in 2004 with 35,957 units completed in the first six months."

Not 80,000 a year at all.

THERE is no doubt now that over 80,000 new dwellings will be completed this year

How exactly does the Indo know this?

It's not begrudgery, I want to move up and the extent to which I can do so.............

It's not begrudgery, I want to move up and the extent to which I can do so.............

It might not be begrudgery but it certainly sounds like it.
Praying for a market crash is rather selfish in that it ignores all the other people who have property as an investment - such as for their retirements.

I have only recently bought - and as I'm single had to do so with a friend, to get myself on the ladder. I would not have wished to see the market plummet before I bought. What I would be happy to see, even now, is the market level off.

Some might say that praying for the market to stay level is actually the selfish approach - aimed at protecting your own investment at the expense of those less fortunate who have not been able to get into the market yet.

That would be a harsh thing to say. If it stays level for a few years affordability should start to return as wages increase due to inflation.

Back