Is planning permission required for double glazing?

zoe

If you want to replace single glazing in a house with double glazing, is planning permission required?

Assuming house is just a regular house, not of historical significance etc...

Re: Is Planning Permission Required for Double Glazing...??

Certainly not.The newer building regulations (more or less) demand double glazing incl. either gas filling or metal coating. So called "Pilkington" glazing or "Vista therm" or all the other brand names.
But you could be talking about a listed/protected building, there you have to check the exact conditions, talk to the planners. Unless this listed building has no art work glazing like for example lead beaded glass from the 19th century or older then you most likely can have double -better triple- glazing. Any window feature that only has to look- like- old can be made by a glazer (incl. mock Goergian windows and the like) with modern materials.

Hi

no the house is not of historical significance...for example, a bungalow from the 1970s...

I was just wondering as I think I recall reading that you have to get planning permission in the UK to get new windows installed in any house, so was just wondering if anything similar applied here...

Most likely not, but there are new regulations regarding escape from bedroom windows (Part B Building Regulations) - your supplier should be able to confirm the requirements and how your window design will comply.

"Metall coating" means that the inner side of the outer pane of a double glazing unit is coated with metall.
Usually silver is used for the purpose. The coating is so thin that light can penetrate but heat is kept back. As a silver coated mirror would reflect light the much thinner coating reflects a certain wave lenght of energy-heat. It means that the inner space of a double glazing window pane is kept warmer, the surface of the inner pane would feel warmer when touching it. A not metall coated double glazing window pane would have an U-value (I guess the numbers from my memory) of about 3.5 whilst a metall coated double glazed window pane would have an U-value of 1.6, if you get additionally Argon or Krypton gas filling between the two panes the U-value will be reduced to 1.2 .
You could check the home pages of "pilkington" or " vistatherm" or another manufacturer, I think the SEI has also some information about the issue. The lower the U-value the less heat/energy gets lost, the warmer the surface, the less money it costs to keep the room comfortable . The metall coating also protects against UV light , this would help to decrease the colour fading effect of the sunlight. For example of fabric, curtains, pictures,flooring and our skin as well. You won't get brown, tanned behind such panes as quick as with non coated panes. But this is only a side effect, the aim is energy conservation.

Back