Is Pet Insurance Worth It ?

Delber

We have a pedigree Golden Retriever and we are considering Insuring him against Vet Fees etc. He is nearly 3 yrs old, would anyone out there think that this is a waste of money or are there any pitfalls to be aware of regarding the policy.

Cheers

Delber said:
We have a pedigree Golden Retriever and we are considering Insuring him against Vet Fees etc. He is nearly 3 yrs old, would anyone out there think that this is a waste of money or are there any pitfalls to be aware of regarding the policy.

Cheers
\

I recently had to get a growth off my dogs neck and have it analized(sp). and the pet insurance paid for it.

Acouuple of years ago a friend had a dog with something wrong with it. After several operations the dog died. The vets bill ran into thousands and he had no insurance cover.

It would be an easier decision if you went into the vet and knew that putting your dog right woulld cost xxx. The problem comes when this doesn't work and they try something else. The bills build up very quickly and to be fair the vets and their staff have done their job and need to be paid, whether your pet survives the procedure or not.

There is an emergency out of hours clinic in Rathfarnham and boy do they know how to charge. (Can't remember the exact cost but the Blackrock Clinic must be where they are basing their fees on)

Murt

Hi Delber

there was a discussion on this some time ago:
http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?t=1938

I'd agree with Murt. If it happens that the vet suggests further tests which would cost a significant amount, then you can go right ahead without worrying about the cost. It certainly makes any decisions in that regard easier. There is a cap of something like €3200 per year.

We have made 3 or 4 claims over a 2 year period.

I think that emergency clinic has moved to UCD by the way, about a year ago. They used to be based in Nutgrove Vet Clinic, unless there's another place I don't know about. We have unfortunately had to make 2 trips to it.