Is my TV dead?

staunton

Hi all bought a CRT tv 14 months ago and the picture has gone bad yesterday.
The screen now has an orb around it and the colour has gone funny.
everything is green and purple.
I think its prob the tube and I guess its not worth repairing anyone have anything similar happen to them.
And does anyone know if this would be covered by Harvey Normans guarantee.

Hi Staunton, it is more than likely the degaussing thermistor is faulty, simple and cheap to repair.

the same thing happened to a tv my mam bought a couple of years ago.

she spoke to a tv technician who told her it was a time consuming and costly repair.

he said that a load of wire had to be unravelled and it took ages to do, that she'd be lucky to find someone to take on the job..

was he telling porkies? :confused:

the same thing happened to a tv my mam bought a couple of years ago.

she spoke to a tv technician who told her it was a time consuming and costly repair.

he said that a load of wire had to be unravelled and it took ages to do, that she'd be lucky to find someone to take on the job..

was he telling porkies? :confused:
A degaussing thermistor has either two or more commonly three small legs which are soldered into the main panel. Takes about thirty seconds to do and costs a couple of €. It is about the size of an oxo cube.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a mill took to repair man and €40 euro sorted the problem was a bit vague with diagnosis asked him was it the the degaussing thermistor he said yea but he had to reconnect a pcb as well. (maybe to get at it?)
Either way done and done thanks for your help.

Thanks a mill took to repair man and €40 euro sorted the problem was a bit vague with diagnosis asked him was it the the degaussing thermistor he said yea but he had to reconnect a pcb as well. (maybe to get at it?)
Either way done and done thanks for your help.
That was a fair price....glad you got sorted.;)

Back