Is my TV banjaxed?

lou2

I have a 32" Sharpe LCD TV which is 2 years old this summer. However, over the past number of weeks I have had problems when turning on the TV. When I turn on the TV the screen will come on for literaly a split second and then it goes black although there is still sound. I have to turn the TV on and off for anything up to about 30 times before the screen will stay on. Needless to say this is driving me demented. Does anyone know if this sounds like my TV is permanently banjaxed or would it be worth getting a repair?

same thing happened to me accept I got no picture at all just sound, brought the tv to the local tv repair shop and they fixed it I think it cost something up to 100euros can remember it was quiet some time ago, when I asked the tv repair guy what did he think happened he said they are made like that after a while the picture goes once it is repaired it will never go again 5 years later the tv is still perfect, tv make is a sharp bought in shop brand new not related to the repair guy.

hope this helps, call the tv repair shop and ask what they think

had something similar and brought it to a tv repair guy in fairview, he charged 65 to fix it!

Thanks guys...will bring it to the repair shop then. Sounds a lot cheaper than a replacement. I don't suppose anyone knows of a good TV repair shop in the general Blanchardstown area?

Have a look at the back of the tv and make sure the air vents are not blocked up with dust.

Get the hoover to the back of the tv and clear any obstructions.

These things get hot and need good airflow to keep them cool.

There are generally thermal cuts outs to stop damage.

Hi All Same problem with Sharp 32" aquos. Did you get this resolved can you reccomend anyone to repair? Sets only 16 months old.Have blown out all the dust and set works for a few mins then cuts out again.

Hi TheBlock...you're not going to believe this but the problem spontaneously corrected itself about 3 weeks ago. It had gotten really really bad where it was taking up to 30-40 mins to turn it on. I was planning to bring it down to a repair shop but when I went to turn it on one day it just stayed on and the problem never came back. So weird. I've no idea what was going on there.

It's very annoying though. Screen goes blank during programmes just switch off/on and it'll work again for a short time. Would like to get resolved though might not be as lucky as yourself

I have a new 32" Sharp Aquous LCD. Great, something to look forward to. There is a good TV repair guy in Clonskeagh if anyone needs one in that area.

It's very annoying though. Screen goes blank during programmes just switch off/on and it'll work again for a short time. Would like to get resolved though might not be as lucky as yourself

If it has a power adaptor - and not just a normal plug - that could be the problem. If you have one - and it has a light on it when plugged in - is that light flashing? If it is - it is faulty.

There was or is a TV repair shop in Blanchestown Village on the right at on a corner if you coming off the N3 going into Blachestown Village,,that were I got mine fixed

Have you checked all connections?

Just guessing from somewhat similar experience that a cable might not be fully inserted. Always worth checking.

All connections checked and no problems. No Power adaptor just plugged in. It does appear to be a problem with some loose wiring internally from some brief googling I done. Think it will be going in for repair soon it's driving us a bit mad. Any one no of any repair shop on northside around Sords area?

Bought a Sharp Aquos 32 inch tv and after 18 months, same problem.
I now have to turn on / off maybe 10 times to get the picture to stay on.
If you search Web, you will find many other with same problem; I think this counts as a design flaw and the supplier may have different legal obligations than for a random fault.
MikeK

Well almost one year later I am still having the same problem. Never got around to leaving the TV in for repair but I have come up with my own intervention which is working so far...when I turn the tv on and the screen goes blank, I turn it off again and give the TV about 10 bangs at the back (i know that sounds a bit dodgy!).When i turn back on the TV it works!

Well almost one year later I am still having the same problem. Never got around to leaving the TV in for repair but I have come up with my own intervention which is working so far...when I turn the tv on and the screen goes blank, I turn it off again and give the TV about 10 bangs at the back (i know that sounds a bit dodgy!).When i turn back on the TV it works!

Mmmmm very technical solution that.

I'm still having the same problem myself but as it's not the main TV i've done nothing about it. When I'm banished to the other room to watch the Football I give it a few slaps and blow out the dust as Lou2 has and this sorts it out temporarily.

I've just contacted a repair guys whos initial advice is to try and use scart input 2 or 3. He reckons that scart input 1 allows for a quite a lot of information input that is not nessacary and this could be shorting out the picture. He hadn't come across this particular problem with Sharp but said if this doesn't resolve it then for €40 they will do a diagnostic and find the problem.

Guy is based in Kinsealy Business Park.