Is it worthwhile getting a digital camera fixed?

Gabriel

Hi,

I bought a Nikon Coolpix something something a few years back in Singapore. Anyway, it's a grand old camera...except that it's stopped working. The zoom lens doesn't zoom anymore. So when I turn the camera on it just tells me to remove the lens cap. The zoom is fully extended - it should retract when you turn it off. You can hear the litle motor trying to work...but it fails.

Anywhere that might fix this. Is it worth it does anyone know from a price point of view...or should I just accept that I'll have to replace it?

I had a similar problem some time ago. I left it in with the camera shop at the top of Grafton Street who charged €85.00 for sending it on to Olympus in Germany for investigation. Any repairs carried out were an additional charge.

A couple of weeks later, I damaged the camera again and decided to buy a second-hand replacement model on ebay, rather than pay another €85.00 to be told that, as I feared, it couldn't be repaired.

The replacement one cost me €120 from the US.

In summary, buying a replacement may be a better use of your money than getting it repaired.

Thanks for the info TarfHead...that's what I figured alright. I'll just source a new one so.