Is it worth servicing/fixing/updating car before selling?

ivorystraws

Hi,

I have a VW Bora which I would like to sell privately... it's a 1.4 petrol. Firstly, it probably needs a service and a new timing belt kit. If I go to a dealership, this will probably cost me a couple of hundred euro. But I just want to have it in good working condition before I sell it.
I'll probably get it valeted before I put it up for sale but does anyone know or can anyone advise the best value servicing (including timing belt fit) for such a car? Is it worth it to get a lot of work done on the car before selling, apart from obviously having it in good working condition?

Any thoughts or pointers are welcome.

Always get your car 100% before sale. Gives prospective buyers no excuse not to purchase, assuming the price is ok.

It's always a hard call to make. The extra money to get things right is never going to be recouped in the selling price. But think of it this way, what would you expect from a private seller trying to get you to part with your cash?

RSK2 has a point, a car should be in 100% before selling, sometimes it's just hard to justify it to yourself

Depends a lot on the car. If it's something that will generate a lot of interest then no would be the answer.

With a Bora I'd say do everything to make it perfect. It's the type of car where people may be looking at a number of cars in that category as opposed to wanting a 1.4 Bora explicitly...no offence

Cheers everyone for all the advice!

OK so, I'll get it fully serviced and valeted before sale. Any recommendations on servicing and installation of a new timing belt kit as opposed to going through a dealership?

Valet and clean it yourself!

There must be a decent independant mechanic nearby? Ask around.