Is It Worth Repair?

nuttybud

I currently have a '99 Rover 25 and its due for NCT this mth. Ive had it 8yrs without any major problems. Its taxed until Sept. Is it worth saving?

Drives OK (stalls a bit and needs to warm up)
Elec are fine BUT
Needs new tyres
rust under boot door and a small bit under engine
passenger seat stuck ie wont slide up or down. Can this be easily fixed?
sml hole in exhaust
petrol cap cover & wind sheild, half broke off in the bad wind last mth, can I just take the rest off?
I think its mainly cosmetic stuff to be fixed but will this affect nct?

I had a look on cbg.ie and '00 (newer) is on for 1900aprx so its not worth much.

Does anyone have an idea of cost of repairs and whether its worth doing (would it pass nct) or should I try trade it in (not really ina position to buy anything fancy max 3k budget) ?

thanks

Re: should I save it?

Take it to a mechanic to have a look, he should give you an estimate of any repairs before you put it through the NCT.

Does it have the Honda engine?

Hi Iggy

Yes Im pretty sure it has the honda engine, does that make a diff?

with the rover engine they are worthless. honda engined ones are way better and will stay going for longer

Any hole in exhaust will fail the NCT.
Think petrol cap flap may be ok, as long as you have petrol cap.

Not sure what you mean about windshield, but a crack in front windscreen is likely to lead to failure.

I would err very much to getting a car repaired rather than buy a new one - particularly a 99 car - fair enough its nearly 10 years old but that age is no longer regarded as ancient or worn out. It would be a shame to scrap a car that age.

It depends more on why you have a car in the first place - the type of driving you do, if there are any major components getting pretty worn on the car and whether or not you still like it.

A lot of the stuff you mention is standard running wear & tear (tyres/exhaust/lack of engine tuning) and the usual cosmetic glitches that you might expect on a well used vehicle. You would probably want to service the car and replace the tyres and exhaust (cheaply) in order to make it presentable to sell. The broken petrol cap cover and windscreen surround might be found in a scrapyard, and the stuck seat could be as simple as a lack of lubrication. The rust is easy to treat provided it hasn't gone into a hole.

Bigger question is whether this car will start to give you trouble. Many people replace their cars because they fear an older vehicle will let them down more - this isn't strictly true as a well looked after 15-year-old car can often be much more reliable and in better nick than a neglected, overused 8-year-old motor. As the other posters say, a mechanic will tell you if something major is going to go wrong.

If the mechanic says its okay and you just want a motor to tootle around in and are unconcerned about having a new or flashier car, then why give yourself the hassle/expenditure of changing. I would do those jobs on it, give it a good deep clean and keep it.

Hi Iggy

Yes Im pretty sure it has the honda engine, does that make a diff?
Yes!! The Honda engines will go forever. It`s probably basically a Honda civic engine and is probably very reliable....check out reliability reviews on the `net.
I have a `97 Rover 600 ( Honda accord engine) that just refuses to die! It has 105000 miles done and nothing ever fails on it.Ultra reliable. I simply cannot get a more reliable car than 100%!

Put it through NCT, only fix what you can fix easily and cheaply yourself. See what it fails on, if anything. Then decide to fix/keep.

If you are sick of the car, and do want to change it will be easier to sell with an NCT.