is it too late to seed the lawn

10to1

My new build is just complete and I've had the topsoil laid out. I've people taking out all the stones and seeding the lawn but I've been informed that seeding in any month without an R is not recommended.

I don't want the weeds to take over so I would like to get a lawn established. Any advice appreciated.

Hi - I just seeded my lawn yesterday (after having the topsoil readied twice cos of the ferocious rain in May!). I intend to water it every evening to make sure it gets going.

Seeding in any month with an R is risky as new seedlings are suseptable to frost and germination is very poor in the cold of, for instance, november. Best time for sowing grass seed is late April to late August. Now would be ideal, of course provided there are no extreems of dry/wet weather. Sow it now, if its very dry do a bit of watering. Recent rain has provided enough water in soil to reduce the soil moisture deficit to allow sowing. Weeds will come up, but most will be annual and will not bee seen again if mowed before they flower and set seed. Buy a bag of 10-10-20 and throw it out by the handful before lightly raking in the seed followed by rolling (this can be done with your feet if its a small area)

Beaky, do you need to roll straight away. I seeded and raked but did not roll yet. was going to wait until the seed had started to take a bit first. What do you think?

We are to have showers and sunshine for the next week or two , Perfect weather for sowing lawns the rain will keep ground moist and the sun will suck the grass out of the ground get your mower ready

Ned_ie said:
do you need to roll straight away.

Yes roll straight away.

Reason for rolling is to ensure good contact between germinating seed and the nutrient containing soil particles. Seed is so small it has tiny reserves of nutrients for the germinated plant and must have nutrient available from soil at earliest opportunity rather than using own small reserves to send out roots to contact soil befor seed runs out and plant dies. Also rolling after 1 -2 weeks can damage new shoots.

Folks.

I have half acre site which needs to be raked,stones picked,seeded and rolled....I got a quote of 2k for this...Does that sound right....Gardening company charging E20 -E25 per square meter ????

ZEGAR said:
I got a quote of 2k for this
If you can find a local farmer he might agree to do it if he has tractor assess. My suggested price to offer him is €200 all in.

Or else do it yourself in the evenings over the next couple of weeks. Its a once off job and you will be proud of yourself. 2k is way too high but I guess garden companies can get that money so why not charge it.

Zegar - ours is 1/2 acre as well. It's a lot of work, sweat, cursing - but it's now all over.

Beaky - I ended up rolling last night after all. Feeling the burn of it this morning but I guess no pain no gain !

And even better - it's raining!!! Yippee - hopefully it continues (lightly) for a day or two!

Anyone know where I could hire a stone raker and a leveller ???..Around the galway area

What you should do ( as suggested) is to get a farmer in with a rotovator - tell him not to go too deep - this should level the lawn reasonable for you - he may even have a leveler as well. Then rake by hand the stones. it is hard work but it is the best way to do it.

Maybe i'm just saying that so someone else has the same back pain as me though!!!!

Not sure where in Galway to hire the likes of a leveller etc - I used Sam Hire for a small rotovator a couple of years back when i only had a small garden. Where you based in Galway?

I tried a bit of stone picking and racking last weekend and got about 5% of it done over a 4 hour period.I now have sore legs,arms,back and everything else..I can only do it on weekends as I commute a long distance during the week and am not prepared to sacrifice my weekends to do it..So I am going to pay a company but just wanted a few suggestions/experience regarding price.

€2k is exepensive though. A friend of mine got about 1/2 acre done for 1200. That included levelling, raking, stoning, seeding, rolling.

call into a nearby garden centre and ask them for details of landscapers in the area. There is a garden center on the N17 between Tuam and Galway - they might know - or the one on the headford road. both should have a list of people around your area.

Approaching a farmer is a good way of doing this.

I am in the process of doing this with my garden as well. Although the farmer didn't have time to do it, he did rent me a tractor and plough/grubber for a few weeks (200quid). So at least the dirty work will be done

We had our almost half acre lawn done for about €900 - Knock Garden Centre (Knock) - maybe too far from Galway but worth a try? Thet seem to be very busy.

We have a half acre with thistles and doc leaves up to eye level. We are in the process of killing this off but do we have to strip the dead matter before we rotovate or can we leave it?

as long as you have all factors required for growth of the plant/ germination of seed you are find
1. light
2. a growing medium - decent soil
3. water
4. suitable temperature - 12-14 degree celcius for lawn seed
5 air

you'll need to eliminate all existing growth first via a calibrated sprayer and a non selective translocated sprayer - all growth should have at least 3 true leaf sets.

rotovate or turn the top 2/3"

broadcast seed by hand

Hi guys,

Just wondering what kind of roller is best for small lawns, don't have one and don't want to spend too much, but from reading earlier posts seems I should use one.
My apols if they can be bought for a fiver in hardware shops,