Is it possible to travel from Chicago to Las Vegas by rail + bus?

martha jones

Parents frequent visitors to Las Vegas, but following an illness that my mother picked up on the London-Chicago flight last month, which has put her out of work for two months! They are looking for ways to shorten their flying times. They would extend their holiday, to allow for extra time on a train of bus, and would also like to see some scenery, if possible. Has anyone done this route?

What about hiring a car? Route 66 as far as Flagstaff or Williams Arizona and then drive along the Grand Canyon to Las Vegas it's about 1800 miles but is worth it IMHO.
It's one of those once in a lifetime experience's.

No Train service to Vegas .. so at least the last bit would have to be by bus

I'd think a better choice would be taking a train most of the way (through the flat boring bits!) to Santa Fe maybe and then renting a car and driving from there

Driving the whole 1800 miles would be quite a lot

Have you looked up the routes online? Rail is [broken link removed]. I was looking up some potential trips and there's quite a lot of information on it. You can look up time tables, gives overview of the rooms, etc... I was going to be travelling on my own so it was going to work out very expensive for a berth. But for 2 I think it looks a really nice way to travel.

Bus is the but I've done over night/long bus journeys before and to be honest for something like that I'd be going for the train as far as I could and then either car or Bus. Long bus journeys, day or night are somewhat hellish in my opinion - don't forget you're talking days, not hours.
D