Is it possible to replace Spark plugs oneself?

Mars39

In an effort to reduce the service charge for my car, I need to replace the spark plugs and wondered if this was soemhting that I could do myself?How difficult might it be?

From what I can gather it's not difficult - at all.

BUT, it is important to do the job correctly and to carry out steps in a specific sequence etc.

If you intend keeping your current car for a few years a Haynes manual or simlar will tell you all you need to know.

well that depends on the car !!!!
why are people on here so shy as to not tell us what car it is.
If its a Straight/V 12 then you have a lot of work to do.
if its a micra then they are only 4.

In an effort to reduce the service charge for my car, I need to replace the spark plugs and wondered if this was soemhting that I could do myself?How difficult might it be?

Generally speaking it is a comparativley easy job,assuming you have some basic experience using the correct tools ie. socket sets, plug spanners etc.

Be aware that most modern cars have some sort of engine cowling or cover over the top of the engine and this has to be removed to access the plugs.

Be sure to get the correct plugs for your model (very important) and take your time, replacing one at a time if you prefer and whatever you do don't overtighten the new ones.

As Joeysully said it would certainly help if we knew what make/model/year of car we were delaing with.

Howto from NGK - note comments on gap setting, etc. Do NOT tell your motor dealer about this site ( he might learn something :) )

Hi to all and thanks so much for all the comments. I forgot to put make of car in so hands up, my mistake. Am going to leave it to the garage as it looks a bit technical for my delicate girlie mind as doing it wrong might cost me more in the long run. I really appreciate al the comments and am happy to close this thread now.

Back