is it possible to just change the doors of kitchen presses?

speedy

i really like the layout of our kitchen already but it could do with a facelift so i'm wondering can you just change the doors of the presses?sure i've seen it on one of the hundreds of home improvement programmes i watch!

Re: is it possible to just change the doors of kitchen presses????

Speedy,

Totally possible.

You can get a good selection of doors , drawer units etc. from B & Q just measure your old ones.

All relatively new ones are standard width sizes 300mm, 400mm, 600mm etc and just reuse the old hinges.

easy and can be done DIY with no special skills.

You might get better quality from kitchen suppliers but some of those dont like to sell directly and will only sell and fit.

Also Cash and Carry kitchens is a good bet.

Re: is it possible to just change the doors of kitchen presses????

My friend had her white oak presses and doors painted jasmine white - I tried to put her off idea as her kitchen was lovely as it was (only about 6yrs old) and hands-up it looks fab. She also had her worktop changed to a wood - look and matched the door knobs to the colour of the worktop.

It totally changed the look of her kitchen and it seems much larger now.

I am buying a kitchen at the moment and I know that there is 2 types of frames that you hang the door on. One has the hinge hidden, not sure of the proper name, but basically the door covers all the unit and closes to meet the door of the press next to it. The solid frame however has, as the name suggests, a solid frame around the door that the door will close into and for this type the hinge is showing. So if you have the first type (i.e you cannot see the door hinge) then changing the door should be no problem however if you have the latter then I would imagine you would need to change the frame aswell as the door. Hope this explaination is understandable

Hi

Yeah, of course it can be done....

One drawback is that there will always be exposed surfaces that aren't doors, like between the doors, sides of cabinets etc, you'll have to think about that.

If your doors are standard sized, usually 395 x 745 for base units and 395 x 595 for upper units... (or 445, 495 or 595 etc wide) you'll hopefully have a fair few choices for suppliers.

If Cash and Carry etc won't do them try the Panelling center or Noyeks, or else get a carpenter to buy them from Tippo International, they are a trade supplier and have loads of sizes.

Or if you have ten or more doors to make a custom furniture maker or a joinery shop would be able to provide actual custom sized doors for a similar price to C&C or Tippo, approx €35 to €60 per door plus VAT, hinges etc thrown in. The other places may hit you with charges for drilling for hinges as well.

I have replaced all the doors in kitchens before and it can be hard, drawerfronts need replacing and cabinet sides, base boards have to be changed if possible. Also the old screw holes can get in the way and other obscure problems can crop up... good fun eh?

Hope this helps
Joe

www.eccabinets.com

We hated our kitchen (it was new and in the house when we moved in) so we couldn't justify changing it ... instead we had it painted and it looks really well ... we went for a soft lilac colour ... instead of boring cream. We changed the handles too ... Just a suggestion ... might be cheaper than replacing the doors.

thanks for all the replies. henny penny we did the exact same thing ourselves when we moved into the house but now the paint is chipping a bit and its starting to look old. i just love this site, so many informed people. thanks!

That's a great idea to just paint the existing kitchen...
if you use a polyurethane varnish or paint it will be very tough and should be pretty exceptional... and you'd have no problems with the old colour on the sides of cabinets or the cornice.
So painting should produce a more cohesive overall result compared to replacing the doors and drawerfronts at maybe half the price, I'm not certain what painters charge.

Cheers
Joe