Is it illegal to copy someones Lasercard without permission?

Mercantilist

Hi

I purchased six months membership of a gym and handed my Laser card to the gym manager expecting her to swipe it through the reader and I would enter my pin to authorise the purchase. Instead when I glanced over the counter she was copying my Laser card number and expiration date into her files. I was taken aback that they would do this without my permission, but was unsure about what to say.

On further reflection and based on some of the threads on this forum, Im very unhappy that that company can now charge my account, any amount they want, anytime they please, for many years into the future. For those reasons, I have never authorised a direct debit on my bank account and thought that Laser was immune from unauthorised charges, as it comes with a PIN for authorisation.

Does anyone know the legality of a merchant making a copy of a customers Laser card without their approval? It doesnt seem right to me.

They shouldn't do it but many do. There was one particular shop that I no longer use that used to swipe the card thru the till and then swipe it thru the CC terminal. You will be able to fight any charges made without the PIN on the basis they are unauthorised.

I would advise that you cancel the card and ask for a new one with a new number. That way they will be unable to process any further charges on the old card.