is dunmore east a disadvantaged village?

speedy

we are thinking of moving to dunmore east and had been about to put down a deposit on a house when relations of mine(who live nearby) said that dunmore east is quite a disadvantaged area and although it is busy and prosperous with tourists during the summer months, for the rest of the year it is quite a poor village eg schools would not be great.

any opinions?

Dunmore East does rely heavily on tourism, however the area is very expensive as far as property is concerned and I think this has put a lot of people off moving to the town as a result. If you look around at what has been up for sale lately down there you'd be hard pushed to find anything under €350k and this is for a small 3 bed mid terraced house.. a detached house on the outskirts of the town would set you back €500k+

Most of the kids go to secondary school in Waterford city and probably a lot go to primary school there due to the fact that the majority of parents would work in Waterford city.

I wouldnt class it as a disadvantaged area, more to do with the fact that any industrial development in the area has been discouraged or blocked due to the importance on tourism and the only actualy work there apart from tourist based is in the fishing industry.

I.C

agreed with what Irishchappie has said - busy during tourist season, but very quiet for the winter. only real employment in Dunmore itself is in the fishing industry, or hospitality sector. houses are high in price in comparison to similar houses even in the more expensive parts of Waterford city, and most children would most likely go to school in the city, although there are primary schools in Dunmore. it's not too far a drive from waterford though, about 15 minutes, so all the bigger supermarkets/schools/amenities etc are easily accessible.

It's a lovely scenic village - beaches, harbour, cliffs, stunning views etc. and some nice pubs there for a handy night out, but most people living in dunmore would be working/going to school/shopping etc in the city. you would get more bang for your buck housewise though if you looked elsewhere in the surrounding area, but still be close to the coastline if that's what you're after.