Is card skimming still a big problem?

Mopsy

I heard of a case of it last week. Punter discovered a couple thousand Euro gone from account.

Are the banks on top of this situation or is it something that is beyond their technology.....?

The banks are up to the technology, it is just not worth their while to implement any improvements in security. Good old megnetic tape beats smart/RFID cards in price any day.

I check almost daily. Used card in St Stephens Green PTSB? ATM (only time card used for months) on a Thursday/Friday went to London for weekend and €900 hovered out.

I think for me, it will be a case of using the good auld bank for my cash withdrawals instead of using the Laser card for transactions!

I am now paranoid.....not going to use ATM's especially on the street or in various outlets......will use the ones INSIDE the Banks.

Just take out enough cash for the shopping!!! I would prefer to have the odd 20 or 50 Euro stolen rather than my account cleaned out!

There's always something....

Card skimming is a problem and will always be a problem. As long as certain countries (e.g. USA) continue to process magnetic card transactions, the fraudsters will always take advantage.

I check almost daily. Used card in St Stephens Green PTSB? ATM (only time card used for months) on a Thursday/Friday went to London for weekend and €900 hovered out.

What come back do you have in this situation?

What come back do you have in this situation?

100% Bank refunded the lot. Although when researching it I discovered the banks don't have to repay the first €150. Google 'Code of Best Practice of the European Banking Debit Payments Industry on Card-Based Payments' for details.

I now just have an 'ATM bank account' and never have much more than €100 in it.

It would be in the banks own interest if the withdrawal would stop at zero Euros so a scammer cannot draw more than you have, but the banks will not do this.

It would be in the banks own interest if the withdrawal would stop at zero Euros so a scammer cannot draw more than you have, but the banks will not do this.

Knowing now the caliber of senior bankers in this Country,you would not be blamed for suspecting that this was some form of "professional" courtesy between thieves.