Is an nct needed when doing a driving test?

sparkles08

Just trying to clear up an argument in work.
I was a bit upset with a mechanic this morning because despite me spending 600€ in his garage so my car would pass the nct (1st & 2nd time failed) so that I could use it for my driving test this Thursday.
He told me I could still do my test in my car because they don't check the nct as it is not illegal to not have one!!!

Told this to the people in work & it's a bit half & half at the moment so I would appreciate if somebody could clear this up for me. I personally think it's not true.
Can I use my car for my driving test if the nct is out of date??

[broken link removed]

FWIW, I remember my driving test including a quick visual check on my tax, insurance and NCT (can't comment on what would have happened if the NCT was out, but from the above information the tester seems to have the ability [or is required] to fail the test as a result).

You can try, but tester should and will check it. He/she would then refuse to get into the car and quite rightly too.

Definitely not. Son's friend was sent home without doing test because NCT was out of date.

I know someone who wasn't allowed do the test because the NCT disc wasn't displayed on the windscreen.

Just had a look at the [broken link removed] and the faq page confirms that for any car 4 years and older the NCT disc must be displayed.