Is all sand the same?

Green

I have some sand that I wish to clear out of a kiddies play pen, and I need some sand to help improve drainage, can I use the play pen sand for the assisting in the drainage? Thanks

No, all sand is not the same, as you will see if you go to a builders yard or a garden centre.

I assume you are thinking of working sand through the soil to improve drainage?

Use the wrong kind and you will make the problem worse.

AFAIK sandpit sand is usually fine sand, which would probably clog your soil more than anything else.

I believe sharp sand is better, but I recommend you ask at the garden centre.

May I ask who told you to use sand?

You would also find that organic matter worked into the soil over several years will help drainage and general soil quality as well.

I have some sand that I wish to clear out of a kiddies play pen, and I need some sand to help improve drainage, can I use the play pen sand for the assisting in the drainage? Thanks
In short there are lots of different types of sand. Using soft sand (as in a kid's playpen) would be a waste of time for draining. Coarse/Sharp sand is best for this.

No, all sand is not the same, as you will see if you go to a builders yard or a garden centre.

I assume you are thinking of working sand through the soil to improve drainage?

Use the wrong kind and you will make the problem worse.

AFAIK sandpit sand is usually fine sand, which would probably clog your soil more than anything else.

I believe sharp sand is better, but I recommend you ask at the garden centre.

May I ask who told you to use sand?

You would also find that organic matter worked into the soil over several years will help drainage and general soil quality as well.

I read it on anonther website that aerating then adding sand would assist with drainage, am open to other ideas though...

Correct but depends on the type of sand you propose to use. Using the wrong type is not just a waste a time, it is detrimental to your soil.

Back