Is a satallite dish a one of payment

dodo

Just thinking of buying a starview box , but If I want to get stations from say Finland do I need a satallite dish and if so which is a fair priced good one and do I have to pay a yearly fee for this aswell,

Last edited:
Re: Is a Satallite Dish a one of payment

Last edited by dodo : Today at 05:49 PM. Reason: bad title

Is a Satallite Dish a one of payment

Im afraid the title is still bad!

Re: Is a Satallite Dish a one of payment

Just thinking of buying a starview box , but If I want to get stations from say Finland do I need a satallite dish and if so which is a fair priced good one and do I have to pay a yearly fee for this aswell,
Most sat dishes are a one off payment but i'm not sure which one you talking about. I've never heard of starview.

Not familiar with starview either. However, as regards Finland, their equivalent of sky (Canal +) requires a large dish in order to pull in signal in ireland. Check the coverage maps on lyngsat.com. Its on Thor /1*West. Where are you located? Being on the east coast will help.
A subscription will be required - and possibly a specific set top box?? As regards other finnish channels, i not aware but would guess they're on the same Sat. Check lyngsat for detailed info.

Star View is a manufacturor. You can buy a 90cm Dish for about €70 in maplins, it should be big enough. In fact you can buy a full package in Maplins for €163, includes all items needed to fit a Free To Air satellite system, ie box, dish(65cm), cables, brackets etc. You will prob find better prices on the internet. As Free to Air suggests you buy the gear, install it and you dont have to pay any subscriptions. Wehey, happy days...

www.satellite.ie are another source of equipment and installation services. I have no dealings with them but have seen them mentioned on other threads here and on other forums and they seem to know their stuff and get good press.

It's a one-off payment if the channels you want to watch are broadcast Free-To-Air (FTA).

If the channels you want are encrypted, you need to buy a viewing card from the provider and pay a subscription. Your hardware must be compatible with the card. Some FTA tuners have no slot for any card, some cards only work in certain tuners. You should also check if the provider of the encrytped channels is prepared to sell to an Irish address.

LyngSat provides details of what satellites can be recieved where and which channels are encrypted.

I can receive 'Thor' here in Dublin, but most channels require a card. HotBird and Astra contain most of the FTA channels many people watch.

It's a one-off payment if the channels you want to watch are broadcast Free-To-Air (FTA).

If the channels you want are encrypted, you need to buy a viewing card from the provider and pay a subscription. Your hardware must be compatible with the card. Some FTA tuners have no slot for any card, some cards only work in certain tuners. You should also check if the provider of the encrytped channels is prepared to sell to an Irish address.

LyngSat provides details of what satellites can be recieved where and which channels are encrypted.

I can receive 'Thor' here in Dublin, but most channels require a card. HotBird and Astra contain most of the FTA channels many people watch.

a word of warning if you have young children and you decide to tune in hotbird you may want to delete some channels as they are not suitable. I have a motorised setup (can get several sats with 1 dish). and have done this although I do not have young children but have nieces and nephews you would want to check the channels every so often as they can change

Back