Is a passport necessary?

S

Spokes

I'm due to fly from Dublin to Edinburgh on the 7th of October and return the following day. Will my drivers license suffice or have they enacted the new rule that passports are needed between our countries yet? Thanks

This information of valid id's accepted is included in the confirmation email of your journey details. You don't need a passport for general travel (between the two places mentioned) but airlines have separate rules regarding forms of ID.

Your driving license is sufficient if it is an Irish or UK license and you were born in either the UK or Ireland.

While you don't need a passport for travel in the British Isles, it's always advisable to bring it. It's still the most accepted form of ID.
Driving license is ok though.

Dereko1969, While the airlines are only interested primarily in your money they will accept any photo ID traveling between Ireland and UK. Immigration however will require a passport or driving license if your born in Ireland or UK. This is because as I have said on a previous thread that the DAA put all flights even domestic ones through immigration so they have no choice but to process you.

In practice a passport is the only accepted proof of citizenship. Anyways passports become compulsory from Jan 1st 2009 for all IRL/UK travel.
DAA put all flights even domestic ones through immigration

That policy is likely to end up in the courts.