Is a new boiler tax deductible?

Carmar

Just another question about a rental property. We replaced the boiler in a newly acquired rental property as it was very old and not efficient. It was replaced after tenants moved in, so it was not a pre-letting expense. Would such a replacement be a capital allowance and so deductible over 8 years against rental income? I don't think that it was an improvement as it was not a combi-boiler, just the same type of boiler as before. Many thanks for any information.

In practice you can pretty much do what you like, I don't think I've ever seen a rental computation queried by Revenue. Even a few years ago when the interest was restricted to 75% I don't recall ever getting a single query from Revenue asking to prove that the interest had in fact been restricted correctly. Came across a few people just claiming the 100% interest as normal and getting away with it no problem too. Rental income doesn't seem to be a priority TBH

the bottom of page 6 states "a ‘repair’ means the restoration of an asset by replacing subsidiary parts of the whole asset"
1. That document is 8 years old and most likely is no longer in use.

2. That definition doesn't make a whole lot of sense. If a repair can be done without replacing a part, it suddenly doesn't stop being a repair.

Otherwise I'd have considered repairs and equivalent replacements to be pretty much synonymous.