Is a Network Card required to connect using broadband?

Becca

I was reading an eBay listing for a pc and it states 'It has network card to connect to broadband'.

Does this mean that a pc must have a network card in order to connect to the internet using broadband?

If it does, how do I know if my pc has a network card?

Thanks

No. Some pcs use a usb connection, like laptops. Others use wireless.

To check for a network (Ethernet) card, for me it's Start->Settings->(Ctrl. Panel)Network Connections and under the heading "LAN or High-Speed Internet" should be a title eg. (Local Area Netwk.)
Then look to the right under the bar that reads "device name" that's your card. (mine reads: Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection)
Bear in mind, finding the Network Connections Window may differ because i'm not using WinXP.

Hope that helps:)

Thanks!

So a network card is required only to connect to the internet using the ethernet connection; and provided the pc has an ethernet socket then it probably has a network card?

If a computer has an Ethernet socket (it's like a big phone socket) sometimes labelled 'RJ45', then it has a network card.

The ethernet connection is the best/easiest way to connect to your broadband router/modem.

USB is also possible but needs more configuration/installation.

Wireless is handy but needs careful configuration so as to have a secure connection.

Back