Is a 25% tax free lump sum from UK private pension taxable if you live in Ireland now

AndyMac01

Hi. I have a 3 private pensions in the UK from when I worked for a few companies over there from 1993 to 2008. They are not the defined benefit type. Pension pots of around £30k, £50K, and £60k. These pensions list retirement age as 60, which is only a few years off for me. I have lived, worked ( self employed ) and been tax resident in Ireland since 2008. If I take a 25% tax free lump sum from these pensions at age 60 and transfer that money to Ireland, will it be taxable?. If so, could I transfer them before they are due to an pension fund in Ireland, to avoid tax that way?. Thanks

Unless Brexit changes the rules, a tax-free lump sum from a UK Pension scheme is non-taxable in Ireland.

I did this in 2017 and I'm pretty sure the rules haven't changed since. There is a slot on the Form 11 to enter the amount

Thanks for the answers. I will leave those pensions in the UK then as they are seeing good growth year on year.

Back